• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are wills public?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aislyn

What is the name of your state? NC

My grandparents both died when I was 8 years old. How can I check their wills to verify what they left to me? Are wills available to the public?

Also, I live in a different state than the one they lived in. Any help would be appreciated.

anteater

Once they are submitted to the probate court, they are generally public record.

Find out what county they resided in and then do a search (Google, Yahoo, etc) for the website of that county - most have websites. On the website, look for a section on courts, in particular, the probate court. Look for a phone number and give them a call to find out what you would need to do to obtain a copy of the probate file(s).

Some counties might even some of the records online.

(How old are you now? Seems odd that you would not already know this info.)

Betty

As the other poster asked, how old are you now? What made you decide at this time to verify what was left to you in the wills?

Dandy Don

What is the name of your state? NC

My grandparents both died when I was 8 years old. How can I check their wills to verify what they left to me? Are wills available to the public?

Also, I live in a different state than the one they lived in. Any help would be appreciated.
Of course wills are public record. Please mention what city and state that they died in so I can find you the link to the public records online. And also mention what year they died.

aislyn

Once they are submitted to the probate court, they are generally public record.

Find out what county they resided in and then do a search (Google, Yahoo, etc) for the website of that county - most have websites. On the website, look for a section on courts, in particular, the probate court. Look for a phone number and give them a call to find out what you would need to do to obtain a copy of the probate file(s).

Some counties might even some of the records online.

(How old are you now? Seems odd that you would not already know this info.)
Hi. Thank you for your help! I am now in my twenties and married, and we are expecting. Although it may seem odd, my family situation is, well, rather unique. Money, power, and politics are the leading themes in my family, so it would essentially be considered a "slap" in my father's face to have ever asked about it before. The expectation is that he will allow the information when he deems that I am worthy. My mother died at Christmas, so my sister and I are currently in the process of dealing with her estate since my parents were divorced. Anyway, that's what brought it up now.

Dandy Don

Lumberton is located in Robeson County, NC. It does not appear that the probate court records are online, but you can call (910) 671-3000 for information on how to reach the Court Clerk's office.

If you want to search land records to see if they own any property, that Register of Deeds website is located at http://rod.co.robeson.nc.us/

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">