• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills/Real Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mareea

state of louisiana
My grandmother died leaving two pieces of real estate with no will in place. What procedures must I take to the property in my name? Additional info: my grandmother had two sons who proceeded her in death, one being my father. my grandmother has 1 sister and 3 brothers alive. the brother that was handling all her medical and legal issues during her illness is who told me about the property. please advise.

A

advisor10

JULY 19, 2001

DEAR MAREEA:

You will need to file a petition with the probate court to become "personal administrator" of your grandmother's estate. They will give you the legal papers that would authorize you to claim any assets on your grandmother's behalf and give you the authority to claim the real estate and have the title changed to reflect the names of the new owner.

There is a small chance that the grandmother's sister and 3 brothers might be named as co-heirs or part owners (along with you). Do you all intend to sell this property or do you want to keep it for yourself? Maybe you can buy their share from them or have them give it to you.

You may want to consult with a local attorney or a real estate agent to find out the best and cheapest ways to get your name on the title.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">