• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills and Trusts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

highfidelity

My grandmother died about 13 months ago, and her will/trusts are still going through probate. (A little background...my father died about 7 years ago, so basically all of his inheritance (he has one brother) from this estate go to me and my three brothers and sisters.)

I have reason to believe that the executor of this estate (a relative) has done some 'shady' things, since my father died, and we may not be getting our fair share. For example, a month after my father died, he showed up at my grandma's house and asked her to sign some documentation, and she stated to me over and over that she didn't know what she signed that night. She would never ask him about it, and I didn't want to cause big deal, so I didn't either. (She was a very timid woman.)

Anyway, I would like to find out if I can get a hold of her estate information without the executor knowing about it. (It could be a touchy situation, and I don't want to look like I don't trust him, even though I don't.)

Will her estate information be filed publicly anywhere? I believe there is both a will and trusts involved. (I've heard that wills are filed with probate, but I believe I've seen the will and what I really want to find is the document that she signed that night, along with the trust information.) Is all of this information available to the public? Also, is there any statute of limitations for contesting a will/trust? (I realize I may have already missed it, but I would like to know for my own benefit whether or not the executor took advantage of us.)

Thanks!

ALawyer

The Will is on file in the county court house if it was submitted to probate, and is publicly available to anyone. But it may be a simple pourover will that would say little. You'd need to get a lawyer involved and have a proceeding to examine tha accounts if you want to pursue this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">