• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills and trusts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DeboDebis

My friend passed away three weeks ago.A few months ago she told me I was in her will.The estate is large and went in probate.When would I be contacted?Before or after probate.Who would contact me?A lawyer?

A

advisor10

(01-20-2001)

DEAR DEBO:

So sorry about the loss of your friend--apparently you were very close to her if she cared enough to remember you with a gift.

You will be contacted by the estate executor (the person who your friend authorized to take care of her affairs after she died). If you are listed in the local phone book or if the executor is someone in the family who knows you, then it should be fairly easy to reach you by phone or by mail. However, you must be patient, since it takes a month or 2 (sometimes more) for all of the estate affairs to be taken care of, and no monetary distributions can be made until the debts and expenses have been paid.

The estate executor might be a lawyer, but not necessarily, as it could be anyone or even a close family member that your friend trusted to handle her affairs.

If you haven't been contacted by anyone within the next 2-3 months, then you can call or write to the county courthouse to find out if the will has been filed yet.

If I were you, I would make sure that someone in your friend's immediate family is given your address and phone number so that someone in the family will know how to reach you at the proper time, but you probably have already done that.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">