• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

writing a will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

execsupport

What is the name of your state? SC

My husband and I are planning to do new wills. I am 56 and remarried 5 years ago. He is 58. I have a 20 year old son and my husband has 3 children ages 15-20. We don't have much, mostly household goods, jewelry, etc. My husband had virtually nothing when we married. I had nice furniture, crystal, china, silver, etc. My husband had lost everything in his divorce. I lost everything due to an extended illness. We have been working hard at rebuilding our lives.

My husband wants to leave everything to each other with the four children being treated equally as secondary beneficiaries if we both die. I would prefer to leave everything to my husband for his use during his lifetime but then given to my son when my husband passes. I don't want anything belonging to me now to end up with his children. My view is that we have paid so much child support and they have their mother to inherit from. My son has only us since his father disappeared many years ago after our divorce.

I have a new benefit at work that allows me to do a simple will myself at no cost. We really don't have money for an attorney so this is great. How can I stipulate that everything I leave my husband be only for his lifetime, then go to my son?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">