• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 or employee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gadget455

Ok heres the story...I live in Pa and work for a courier company, they say i am an independant contractor and am responsible for my own taxes, but they take out 12% of the total pay for workers compensation, if im responsible for my own taxes shouldnt that be included? i use their vehicle, their gas card and they tell me how the job needs done, and i am completely dependent on the income from this job....therefore i assume that by law i am an "employee" of the company....on the check i recieve they list a "vehicle lease" of 200 and some odd dollars, but turn around and reimburse this on the same check under a differant heading, i was told they are just shuffleing paperwork to make that work.

We were told we can find our own insurance and use it if we want but noone can seem to find where to get it because noone will insure an individual, our employer has to...

does this seem fair to anyone? anyone know where i can find out the truth about who should be paying for wc? us or the company? im so tired of paying 12% of my check back to the company for something i feel they should be paying..any help is very much appreciated on this....my coworkers are sort of depending on me to find out the truth so we know where to go from here..thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">