• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asbestos in the carpet glue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gkd8z

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
I am being forced to move into a floor that has asbestos in the carpet glue. The company does not want to spend money replacing the carpet. I brought this matter to the attention of the company officers/HR and they told me that the air will be tested before the move. I am afraid of asbestos contamination going forward. If I refuse to move, I may be considered as a disgruntled employee and dinged on my bonus or promotions (or even fired). Can you please advice me on options I have? Thanks

xylene

The company is free to discipline you for refusing to work in your assigned area.

Trace amounts of non-friable asbestos in a workplace are perfectly acceptable to OSHA and as they should be to any sensible person.

If you believe a hazard exists, contact OSHA and the relevant authorities. You will receive the exact same answer I have given you. Non-friable asbestos is acceptable and the employer does not have to accommodate you.

If your company does something foolish, like illegal removal or disposal... well that is another story.

DaveJones002

Can I ask if the OP sees dust or crumbling from the carpet tape. When you step on an area where the carpet is spliced, do you see a plume of dust rise into the air.

If so, collect some dust particles and do your own testing.

gkd8z

tiles and carpet being fixed by a non-professional

Thanks for your replies.....They are patching the carpet and replacing/removing some tiles that has black glue. This work is being done by a regular worker with out mask. I dont think this guy has a clue about the glue. I got a sample from the pile of broken tiles for testing. Is it legal to remove tiles, fix carpet etc with out a professional company doing this?

CJane

If they are asbestos-containing tiles, probably not.
Exactly. My father is an environmental engineer and has spent years doing asbestos removal and training. When the asbestos is in tiles, or roofing shingles, or house siding, it's about as close to harmless as you can get because, as stated earlier, it's non-friable. That means that it does not break down into the fibers that cause lung issues.

The issues that are commonly associated with asbestos are generally from asbestos containing insulation in older buildings. When that asbestos is disturbed, the fibers can be inhaled, causing problems.

It doesn't sound to me like there is any risk at all of the tiles or the glue causing health problems.

dbarr123

Non-friable means it needs to be pulverized to emit any asbestos containing like fibers. The worker should have sprayed it down with some encapsulant or at least water but on small repair (within guidelines) it is not required. Are you sure the carpet glue has been found to have asbestos in it? Is it possible that ACM tiles and glue were down prior to the carpet? If yes then the carpet glue actually acts as a encapsulant and that is perfectly safe for you. ACM glue is almost never permanently removed but what they do is spray a paint like material over it which seals it from emitting any harmful fibers. 10 years ago walking down a city street it was a lot worse for you then this, even now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">