• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assaulted by Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atomsmasher87

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I'm a medical courier, 3rd party independent contractor. My income comes from critical medical deliveries. I refused to show a hospital security guard my state drivers license, and instead showed him my employee ID, issued by the Lab, which is owned by the hospital. I also showed him my government issued Veterans ID card, which has limited personal data that I felt comfortable sharing. His problem was where I was parked. His supervisor snatched my employee ID while still attached to my pocket, and then assaulted and restrained me when I simply pulled my ID back. I made no effort to fight back, nor did I ever act in any aggressive manner. Another driver witnessed the attack, and attempted to video it, but was thwarted by security. He said he would testify to what he saw. I required and received medical attention as a result, and got it at a different hospital after being told to leave. The hospital and lab have banned me from their premises, which has resulted in a complete loss of income. I need to know what to do and who to talk to.

Last edited:

CdwJava

You are certainly free to speak with an attorney who can evaluate the facts to determine if you have any grounds to sue anyone. I am sure that the security guards at the facility will have a different take on what happened.

You do understand that the hospital has a right to establish whatever rules they wish for security procedures, right? If they want you to show a driver's license and you refuse, they can simply refuse to permit you to remain on the property. That would probably have been the best course of action rather than snatching your ID. But, I am curious why they would have thumped you AFTER they grabbed your ID if you were not resisting or engaging them in some other way.

But, this is all stuff you should speak to an attorney about. If he asks for thousands of dollars up front, you may not have much of a case. If he does cartwheels and takes it on contingency, it's likely that he expects at least a settlement that will cover HIS fees.

atomsmasher87

Arizona law

Researched and found the Az law regarding security guards.
Arizona Revised Statutes - Title 32 Professions and Occupations - Section 32-2634 Authority; limitations
32-2634. Authority; limitations

A person employed as a security guard or armed security guard shall not possess the authority of a
regularly commissioned police or peace officer. Any duties performed by a security guard or armed
security guard shall be performed in the capacity of a private citizen.

I am also an independent contractor courier, and can not file for unemployment or workmens comp. There was never a lack of cooperation on my part, and a refusal to show a drivers license to a security guard who has no authority to ask for one can not be construed as a lack of cooperation.

Additionally, the hospital may not write or adopt rules for their security which interfere with or supersede state law. All security guards and companies that provide security are regulated and licensed in Arizona.
Thanks for the replies.

Ladyback1

Researched and found the Az law regarding security guards.
Arizona Revised Statutes - Title 32 Professions and Occupations - Section 32-2634 Authority; limitations
32-2634. Authority; limitations

A person employed as a security guard or armed security guard shall not possess the authority of a
regularly commissioned police or peace officer. Any duties performed by a security guard or armed
security guard shall be performed in the capacity of a private citizen.

I am also an independent contractor courier, and can not file for unemployment or workmens comp. There was never a lack of cooperation on my part, and a refusal to show a drivers license to a security guard who has no authority to ask for one can not be construed as a lack of cooperation.

Additionally, the hospital may not write or adopt rules for their security which interfere with or supersede state law. All security guards and companies that provide security are regulated and licensed in Arizona.
Thanks for the replies.
ahhhhh....yes, you seem to have all the answers.

Regardless of the whole driver's license issue: Where were you parked? Did you offer to move to another parking space? Did you tell the guard "I always park here!"?

I'm thinking that the security guard did not just walk up to you and ghetto stomp you...

ecmst12

There is nothing illegal about the hospital requiring you to provide your driver's license in order to have access to their property.

Eekamouse

You did this to yourself by your refusal to show your driver's license to security. Did you somehow think your refusal would not wind up with you being banned from the hospital grounds? If yes, why would you think that? I think there is A LOT of this story that you've left out and that you've downplayed the confrontation between hospital security and yourself rather than tell what really happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">