• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attacker found! he is dangerous, what action to take ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

velo_horizon

What is the name of your state?idaho, nez perce county

Case Summary: just found out who attacked me, they are dangerous

Case Description: a brutal beating and strangulation. no one knew who did it, not even me the victim, i lost memory for three days. it was a attack from behind.

i have a new job. my current boss knows two people who know the guy who attacked me! the attacker is bragging about it. he has confessed to multiple people. two of which my current boss knows and might be ok with telling their story in court.
the attacker is still working and in the valley i am. he is involved in the selling of drugs and i am scared to go to the police and i do not want to get killed for causing trouble.

beating had no reason, i think it was a robbery attempt ( i had no cash on me) or for fun b/c of the way the attacker brags about it.

difficult facts: the attacker told my boss's cousin and the cousin's husband ( one or both of them ) that he did it. that husband and wife are only loosly in contact with the attacker, but i'm concerned they might not testify with what they where told. and the suspect is rumoured to be involved in the valley's drug trade and i don't want to die. i'm also vunerable at my current place of employment. i also have very little money, next to nothing.

can't the cousin who the attacker bragged to be subpoenaed? or testify under annonimity ? she might get hurt also b/c of the drug trade.

so in the end, the attacker has confesed to someone. how do i avoid getting killed (i'm vunerable at my new job) and stay under cover, while getting him off the streets, b/c he will likely do this again, i dought i'm the first or last.

CdwJava

Without your cooperation he would not get jailed for the assault on you. So unless you can tip the cops to some other criminal activity he has, and they just happen to get lucky enough to catch him in possession of contraband or involved in criminal activity, you can't really do much to get him off the street.

Legally, confessing to a crime without anything else to support it is not sufficient for a conviction. Even if he admits to the cops that he beat you up, if you say it did not happen, then there is no case.

Sorry. Bragging and anonymity are pretty worthless legally.

- Carl

V

velo_horizon

i am willing to cooperate, i did not mean to give the impression that i did not want to partisipate.

so with the testimony of the cousin he bragged to, and my participation, is that enough to convict him ?

CdwJava

velo_horizon said:
i am willing to cooperate, i did not mean to give the impression that i did not want to partisipate.

so with the testimony of the cousin he bragged to, and my participation, is that enough to convict him ?
Maybe. But, a lot would depend on how much time has elapsed, what evidence of injury you might have, and what HIS version of events are. If there were no witnesses, and he claims that you came at him and he laid you out in self defense, it ain't going nowhere.

If this case is months old, it will be harder to make a prosecution stick. NOT reporting it at the time of the assault would play against you pretty big. And if you can't identify him as your attacker, that adds another tough hurdle to the case.

And if you report it, you would NOT be able to remain anonymous. You would have to testify in court - and so would these witnesses who heard him brag about it. So you would not be able to tell your tale and then sit back. You - and the witnesses - would have to come forth and into the public light.

- Carl

V

velo_horizon

proof of injury was not a problem, i was in the hospital for five days. and have permanent inner ear, and ear probs. lots of photos also.

thats true he could say i attacked him, but he did not include anything like that into the bragging. he has already given his story to many people. changing it at the last moment for court would not hold water.

about six months have passed.

i guess i'm screwed.

CdwJava

Well, before you decide you're screwed, report the crime to the polic eand see where it goes.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">