• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back workman's comp checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pocahontas13

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

My father used to collect workman's comp on a weekly basis. He stopped receiving the checks 2 years ago because my brother who was handling his affairs at the time, never changed my father's address when he moved into an alzheimer's unit.

My father passed away in Oct and I am trying to straighten out his affairs now. I called workman's comp and asked them for the back checks, but they said now that my father is deceased we are not entitled to the past checks. Is this correct?

Beth3

I suggest you contact NY's Worker's Compensation Division and ask them about this. If you can't get an answer from them, then you'll need to consult with a WC attorney. Worker's Compensation is a very specialized area of the law. If you've been working with an estate or probate attorney regarding your father's affairs, it's not likely he or she would know (although he or she certainly should be able to make a phone call or two and get an answer for you.)

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">