• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beat up and robbed while doing a delivery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Any medical treatment related absolutely should be reported as a workers comp situation, assuming that he is an employee of Domino's and not an IC.
Dominos better not be treating their delivery people as IC's...because a pizza delivery person is absolutely NOT an IC.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have no reason to believe that he's an IC other than a suggestion made earlier in the thread. While the poster has adequately made the case that he is most likely an employee, since the suggestion was made I provided a qualifier to address the possibility.

And I don't work for Domino's or determine the status of their workers so dial down the aggressive tone a notch, please.

LdiJ

I have no reason to believe that he's an IC other than a suggestion made earlier in the thread. While the poster has adequately made the case that he is most likely an employee, since the suggestion was made I provided a qualifier to address the possibility.

And I don't work for Domino's or determine the status of their workers so dial down the aggressive tone a notch, please.
Huh? I honestly don't see why you thought I was being aggressive.:confused:

justalayman

He is paid hourly, plus tips. Definitely not IC.
a lot of ICs are paid hourly and the tips are irrelevant.

but anyway, and this is way off the legal matters but:

concerning his mental status. I was the subject of a robbery myself. Spent many years dealing with PTSD. It got very VERY bad at one point such that I could not live a normal life. Found a doctor that treated with EMDR. If you research it you will find some med pro's saying it's a bunch of hooey. Some defend it. Even I will say the treatments seem hokey but it is difficult to say if the treatment was curative or it just happened I had the treatments and my own body/mind or the medications I was taking were the cure and the timing was simply coincidental but I do know at that time, there was a profound change in my condition.

if he continues to have PTSD issues (which his issues sound like it is a probability), if he does not get relief through the typical means of treatment, you might want to check into the EMDR thing. The worst that happens is you waste a couple hours and whatever it costs. The best; he gets better.

best of luck to ya.

and you're right; they probably don't care. They have a business to run. (that is sarcasm, just in case it doesn't come across that way)

pizzamom!

a lot of ICs are paid hourly and the tips are irrelevant.

but anyway, and this is way off the legal matters but:

concerning his mental status. I was the subject of a robbery myself. Spent many years dealing with PTSD. It got very VERY bad at one point such that I could not live a normal life. Found a doctor that treated with EMDR. If you research it you will find some med pro's saying it's a bunch of hooey. Some defend it. Even I will say the treatments seem hokey but it is difficult to say if the treatment was curative or it just happened I had the treatments and my own body/mind or the medications I was taking were the cure and the timing was simply coincidental but I do know at that time, there was a profound change in my condition.

if he continues to have PTSD issues (which his issues sound like it is a probability), if he does not get relief through the typical means of treatment, you might want to check into the EMDR thing. The worst that happens is you waste a couple hours and whatever it costs. The best; he gets better.

best of luck to ya.

and you're right; they probably don't care. They have a business to run. (that is sarcasm, just in case it doesn't come across that way)
Thank you!! I really do appreciative all the information I have received from most people on here! I'm going to look into the EMDR just so I am familiar with it.

Ladyback1

Thank you!! I really do appreciative all the information I have received from most people on here! I'm going to look into the EMDR just so I am familiar with it.
Unless EMDR is medically recognized treatment, that the state has declared as being reasonable/necessary for treatment, it may not be covered by any work comp claim.
Work Comp is USUALLY not at the forefront to accept new, non-traditional, medical treatments! :(

justalayman

Unless EMDR is medically recognized treatment, that the state has declared as being reasonable/necessary for treatment, it may not be covered by any work comp claim.
Work Comp is USUALLY not at the forefront to accept new, non-traditional, medical treatments! :(

Sometimes you do what you have to do to get a job done. If it is not covered and other standard remedies have not been effective, then you find a way to pay for it. My insurance covered it so I don't know the actual cost but I suspect it is not overly expensive.

I don't know how old this publication is but it list a bunch of insurance companies and their stance on covering the treatment. Don't know how that would affect it being covered for WC but it might be useful, if it comes to that:

http://www.emdria.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=155

Ladyback1

Sometimes you do what you have to do to get a job done. If it is not covered and other standard remedies have not been effective, then you find a way to pay for it. My insurance covered it so I don't know the actual cost but I suspect it is not overly expensive.

I don't know how old this publication is but it list a bunch of insurance companies and their stance on covering the treatment. Don't know how that would affect it being covered for WC but it might be useful, if it comes to that:

http://www.emdria.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=155
Oh, I agree! You only have one body/one brain, and you need to do what it takes to keep them healthy.

Most states rely on one of two "guides" to determine what is reasonable and recognized course of treatment for specific injuries. Usually a state will look at Official Disability Guidelines (ODG) to set a treatment "schedule" and utilization review. Not always. And unfortunately, ODG is pretty narrow (minded) when it comes to "non traditional" type treatments.

But, first, OP's son needs to get into a Dr. to determine what is going on (and ANY headache that lasts more than 3-4 days needs to be checked out...)

commentator

As somebody who has been beaten up a lot, seen many many head injuries, I cannot believe he didn't seek treatment immediately, believe he very strongly much needs to see a doctor, especially if he had a headache, lost consciousness (even for a second or two) or is now having groggy spells, headaches, bad dreams, etc.
These all could indicate concussion type injuries. And the company cannot deny his treatment under their worker's comp insurance carrier.

Around here, in my very very employer friendly state, many pizza and other delivery prone chains and small businesses call their drivers independent contractors. It's just what they do. Yes, I agree, no way in heck are they really classifiable as contractors, but that doesn't stop those owners and franchisees who feel so entitled. Excuse me they are (harps now play and a light shines from heaven here!) Small Business Owners, you know "Job creators!" and must be allowed to do any darn thing they please! Until they are caught by the feds, (we do not have a state entity that does this, underfunded, you know!) they frequently classify these kids as private contractors. I was afraid that might be the case here, thus my questions.

ecmst12

If psychological trauma is addressed quickly, it usually resolves quickly. It's when it's buried or ignored for years that it becomes really tough to treat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">