• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beat up and robbed while doing a delivery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pizzamom!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I need some help. My son (19) was beat up and robbed while doing a pizza delivery for Dominos. Is Dominos responsible at all for anything he had taken from him, his manager not really giving him answers and the higher ups are not returning calls or e-mails. The attackers took his wallet containing his drivers license and credit card-he paid to get a new drivers license himself already. They took his car keys and house keys so both need to be re-done as they have our address. They took his brand new phone he had just bought. He returned to work the next day because he was worried about losing more money, even though he was sore and was experiencing headaches (he was hit over head during attack). He was also put in a choke hold and punched and kicked. He has not been sleeping as he has been having nightmares-emotionally he is kinda a wreck right now. When he went to work the following night they sent him back to deliver at the same apartments he was attacked in which I found to be very heartless and traumatizing. Not sure how to handle all this or if there is anything that can be done, but really seems they don't care.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I need some help. My son (19) was beat up and robbed while doing a pizza delivery for Dominos. Is Dominos responsible at all for anything he had taken from him, his manager not really giving him answers and the higher ups are not returning calls or e-mails. The attackers took his wallet containing his drivers license and credit card-he paid to get a new drivers license himself already. They took his car keys and house keys so both need to be re-done as they have our address. They took his brand new phone he had just bought. He returned to work the next day because he was worried about losing more money, even though he was sore and was experiencing headaches (he was hit over head during attack). He was also put in a choke hold and punched and kicked. He has not been sleeping as he has been having nightmares-emotionally he is kinda a wreck right now. When he went to work the following night they sent him back to deliver at the same apartments he was attacked in which I found to be very heartless and traumatizing. Not sure how to handle all this or if there is anything that can be done, but really seems they don't care.
Who is sending emails and calling? Your son is an adult and Dominos owes YOU nothing. They also are not responsible for what the thieves took from your son. Your son might talk to the prosecutor about any victim's assistance programs that could help with property replacement, counseling and medical bills. If your son does not want to deliver to certain areas, then he needs to find a new job. Dominos does not have to be compassionate and rearrange things to suit your son -- legally.

pizzamom!

Who is sending emails and calling? Your son is an adult and Dominos owes YOU nothing. They also are not responsible for what the thieves took from your son. Your son might talk to the prosecutor about any victim's assistance programs that could help with property replacement, counseling and medical bills. If your son does not want to deliver to certain areas, then he needs to find a new job. Dominos does not have to be compassionate and rearrange things to suit your son -- legally.
My son has been calling and sending e-mails, not me. Obviously I know they owe me nothing!!!!

commentator

If he is a covered employee of Domino's he should be covered by their worker's comp. Did he seek medical treatment after the experience? I can't believe he was hit in the head and didn't think it would be a good idea to follow up on this. Especially since you now report he is experiencing sleep issues and dysfunction. Suggest he do so immediately. I would definitely call this a work related injury. Did he file a police report?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My son has been calling and sending e-mails, not me. Obviously I know they owe me nothing!!!!
You would be amazed by how many parents try to do this for their children (adult children) and post here upset that THEY haven't gotten answers.

pizzamom!

If he is a covered employee of Domino's he should be covered by their worker's comp. Did he seek medical treatment after the experience? I can't believe he was hit in the head and didn't think it would be a good idea to follow up on this. Especially since you now report he is experiencing sleep issues and dysfunction. Suggest he do so immediately. I would definitely call this a work related injury. Did he file a police report?
This just happened 4 days ago and yes there is a police report plus the crime lab took pictures of all his injuries and he filed an incident report with work. Well when he asked his manager I guess he just kind of shrugged him off so he didn't know how to proceed. He does put in a minimum of 32 hours a week so I thought at least he should of been covered to take a couple days off and get paid. Thank you for your help, obviously this is his issue, but he is young and doesn't know how to handle it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This just happened 4 days ago and yes there is a police report plus the crime lab took pictures of all his injuries and he filed an incident report with work. Well when he asked his manager I guess he just kind of shrugged him off so he didn't know how to proceed. He does put in a minimum of 32 hours a week so I thought at least he should of been covered to take a couple days off and get paid. Thank you for your help, obviously this is his issue, but he is young and doesn't know how to handle it.
legally, he does not have to be given a couple days off and get paid.

ecmst12

That depends on what the doctor recommended. If he was medically advised to take a few days off, workers comp should cover it.

Ladyback1

He needs to file a workers' compensation claim, NOW.

He needs to go see a physician to determine what, if any injuries, he sustained (including any mental health issues related to being assaulted and robbed).

He should not let the manager just "shrug it off". If the manager will not provide him with a first report of injury form (state form used to file claim), it is available online at http://www.dli.mn.gov/workcomp.asp

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
legally, he does not have to be given a couple days off and get paid.
Legally, he does not even have to be given a couple days off and not get paid. Not unless there is a medical reason for it.

pizzamom!

Legally, he does not even have to be given a couple days off and not get paid. Not unless there is a medical reason for it.
Yes I am going to advise him to get to the doctor. He stays up all night messaging me because if he falls asleep he has nightmares and the headaches have not stopped either. Thank you everyone for your help, I have never been in a situation like this before so have no knowledge as to the process involved. Yes he is an adult (19), but told him I would try and find out what he should do since when he asked at work he didn't get any answers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Any medical treatment related absolutely should be reported as a workers comp situation, assuming that he is an employee of Domino's and not an IC.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">