• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being fired when got hurt on the job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indiafan

trying to see if anyone can help. i am a RN . i was at work last wed helping a patient. My back went out and have been getting the run around. Went to emergency room today said i have a herniated disc. all filed under workmans comp. then my employer tells me today i am fired. can they do that?

614jt

It depends on what state you live in. I was told that in Utah you can not be fired for getting hurt but the employer does not have to have a job for you when you can return. I found that in many states you can not be fired while on workman's comp.
You might want to call your local labor board or state workman's comp office.
Good luck!!!!

M

mombottoo

You might also want to call an attorney who specializes in workers comp & labor law. Good luck

J

joe08724

The same thing happened to me. I live in New Jersey and i always thought that you CAN NOT be fired while on workers comp. But what do I know, i just posted a Question on this myself. :confused:

P

Pryan

Go to:

WorkersCompensation.com

Click on your state, then go to employees, then dealing with your employer. This should answer your question.

wtd

trying to see if anyone can help. i am a RN . i was at work last wed helping a patient. My back went out and have been getting the run around. Went to emergency room today said i have a herniated disc. all filed under workmans comp. then my employer tells me today i am fired. can they do that?

We are lead to believe by your post that you were dismissed because of your workman (woman)'s comp claim. We don't know if this is a fact, or just what you assume.

I would imagine that you were given an 'exit interview'.
What reason were you given for your dismissal?

The answer may lead to a more direct answer to your question.

wtd

Last edited:
I

injured back

contact the EEOC, equal employment opptny comishn, they can get the ball rolling into investigating the claim against your employer. you will need DR notes stating weight/working restrictions/diagnosis of injuries/ possible x rays/MRI/ EMG testing for nerve loss. all this aint easy, but will be worth it when you hire an attorney(WC). good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">