• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being nice to "The Boss"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shatteredone

What is the name of your state? UT

Each month (so far) on the anniversary date my sons boss calls to check his "progress". That date is approaching and I no more want to talk to him then step and sharp glass barefooted. Is it in the best interest of my son the be nice?

It is my understanding that he gets all of his medical records and he should know his progress. Within the first month he was already asking me how disabled he was. I think that he is worried about his pocket book and I resent his calling. Just as a reminder my son has a TBI as a result to his incomptence in training him to use dangerous equiptment.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shatteredone said:

Each month (so far) on the anniversary date my sons boss calls to check his "progress". That date is approaching and I no more want to talk to him then step and sharp glass barefooted. Is it in the best interest of my son the be nice?

It is my understanding that he gets all of his medical records and he should know his progress. Within the first month he was already asking me how disabled he was. I think that he is worried about his pocket book and I resent his calling. Just as a reminder my son has a TBI as a result to his incomptence in training him to use dangerous equiptment.

My response:

What are you talking about? Also, was there a "legal" question in there somewhere?

IAAL

Maze

Being nice to boss

shatteredone said:

Shattered one, I don't think your being nice or not to your son's boss has any affect on anything at this point. Many times employers are told to keep contact with injured employees when they are off work so maybe he's following that advice. Also, it is possible that he is not getting all medical records. When the providers find out who the insurance carrier or third-party administrator is, they often only send documentation to them and not to the employer.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maze, did you happen to notice up at the top of the page where it says in bold letters, Questions about US law ONLY?

Does that not imply that this is a legal site? Where the freeadvice given is about LEGAL questions?

shatteredone

Oh my HECK! We say that quite a bit here in UT.

I am sorry to cause so much trouble over a Workman's Comp question. Since this forum is for people who are having issues with WC I thought that we might have some expert opinions from others who have walked this path. I will do my best to steer clear of friendly advice questions in the future.

cbg said:
Maze, did you happen to notice up at the top of the page where it says in bold letters, Questions about US law ONLY?

Does that not imply that this is a legal site? Where the freeadvice given is about LEGAL questions?
I took it to the "US law Only" to mean that we shouldn't ask any law questions about another country.

I have been of the opinion that a troll was someone who just had nasty comments to say to people or someone who relished in causing problems. Maze does not fit that description.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't say she did. I didn't call her a troll.

I was referring solely to her assertion that the questions asked here did not need to be legal ones. Since the statement says, Questions about US LAW only, I question where she gets that idea.

D

D.B. Cooper

Stop talking to the boss, he is not calling to be nice, but to document everything you say, as you are a witness to your sons disability. This can and most likely will have a negative effect on your sons claim if thier is a disagrement about the extent of his injuries, which thier always is. Any questions the insurance or boss has, needs to always be directed to his Attorney. Keep your mouth shut before you unwillingly give them the ammo they need, and besides, isn't your son old enough to speak for himself? or do you just feel a need to be a busy body?

shatteredone

D.B. Cooper said:
Stop talking to the boss, he is not calling to be nice, but to document everything you say, as you are a witness to your sons disability. This can and most likely will have a negative effect on your sons claim if thier is a disagrement about the extent of his injuries, which thier always is. Any questions the insurance or boss has, needs to always be directed to his Attorney. Keep your mouth shut before you unwillingly give them the ammo they need, and besides, isn't your son old enough to speak for himself? or do you just feel a need to be a busy body?
LOL Thank You! I needed a good laugh :) (busy body)

Just because you asked, I will tell you why the boss doesn't ask for my son when he calls. He feels guilty for being negligent in his training procedures and thus causing my 16-year-old son to have a TBI (traumatic brain injury) that will affect the rest of his life.

Thanks for the advice you gave about not speaking to the boss… you have confirmed my suspicions.

D

D.B. Cooper

My apologies, Didn't relize he was 16. Sorry to hear of the TBI. I hope you find a very good Attorney, you are going to need it. The carrier and boss does not have your best interests in mind. Hope it all works out for you.

Maze

Shatteredone, you've never indicated whether or not you have an attorney. But given your son's age and the injury he sustained, I truly hope you have one.

U

upset39

About youre son

As far as the Boss calling beleive me, take it form experience, they are only out for information, I was injured on my job and they, Didnt call or anything, but now that I have been taken back out after being forced to work with my injuries, They call for no reason to see how iam doing? Sure like they care!! Anyway i feel that as a mother of a child no matter the age you are still a mother and will be there to protect, you're child from what ever life throughs at them. I will Pray for you and youre precious child, May God watch over you both!

Hod

get a lawyer

mo. I am new to this forum. Shatteredone, I also suffered a brain injury with my work accident. I am 40 years old and my wife had to take care of buisness for me like a mother. I couldn't even communicate with people for quite a while, because of a speech problem that I experienced after the accident. I understand this is a bad injury, and you must be there for him. I think that is great, he has you. For someone to rudely jump you, and to call you a busybody, because they didn't read your post close enough to realize your condition, is relly rude. I do hope you take the advise that has been given to you, #1 get a lawyer. #2 tell the employer to get his updates from your lawyer. this is to stressfull on you and your son, to have to continue to talk to employer when his life has been destroyed at said employers hands. family support is very important. You have a long road ahead of you. stay strong.

shatteredone

WOW there are some really great people here! Thanks for all the well wishes; I have discovered that the support from others, even strangers, really helps.

D.B Cooper no apologies needed I really DID laugh at being called a busy body. I remember my mom calling a neighbor that when I was young and it made me laugh.

We have a team of attorneys but so far we can only use workers comp as the sole remedy. I am going to be speaking with our state legislators to get a law put into place that will protect other child from being injured. I started the post about it not being a freak accident. The state of UT protects the employer against a lawsuit unless you can prove INTENT to harm the employee. The Law allows the employer to totally neglect training my child. In all fairness the employer was wonderful to us in the beginning, he couldn't have been more supportive. He is a great person but an incompetent employer and because of this my son is left with a permanent hole in his head. The attorneys will be a benefit once we get to the settlement stage.
If someone, anyone, knows another way around WC being the sole remedy pleae let me know. For now we just pray that he continues to recover and gains a full complete recovery.

OHNnurse

When it comes to WC a lot depends on your state laws.

When the employer calls just tell them that you appreciate him/her calling but you are very busy taking care of your son and do not really have time to talk to him about his condition. Tell the employer that he/she can contact the physician treating your son for updates. Does your son have a nurse case manager assigned by WC? If so, direct question to her/him. You can also have your attorney send a letter to your employer asking them to direct any questions to the attorney instead of to you.

Believe it or not sometimes employers do care! If your employer does care he/she will respect your request and not call you personally.

TBI can be devestating for everyone involved. I pray that God will be with your son and help keep you strong.

shatteredone

I have re thought this question and what I should have asked was "Does the LAW permit an employer to have any say so to the amount of benefit that WC provides?

OHNnurse said:
Believe it or not sometimes employers do care! If your employer does care he/she will respect your request and not call you personally.

TBI can be devestating for everyone involved. I pray that God will be with your son and help keep you strong.
I do believe that the employer does care. I just don't see how he can be so neglectful not to train an employee to use a machine that will most likely kill you if used incorrectly. What cuts me to the core is that the law allows him to act in this neglectful manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">