• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boss tells everyone dont get hurt cause we dont give workers comp! your on your own!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

streetrayzed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA.
I work at a pretty well known bakery in Philly. I am white. I am a baker and work with all mexican's. They are all my buddies I have nothing against them making a living. But they are all illegal working under phony documents. My boss knows this of course. We all work on the books. I am only allowed to work 5hrs max of OT a week. Which I am paid time and a half. The mexicans are required to work no less then 15 hrs OT a week which they are only paid straight time. My boss knows they wont complain cause they are working illegally. I mean I know this is wrong. If I open my mouth they will fire me and replace me with another illegal.
Also we are told not to get hurt. If we get hurt were told "we don't do workers comp, if you get hurt your on your own" now I know thats not legal. I am a US citizen working on the books. If I get hurt I have a right to be compensated right? any insight anyone can give me about these issues would be greatly appreciatedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When and if you get hurt at work, if there is no workers compensation you will be able to take legal action at that time. There is nothing for you to do now.

As for your co-workers, it's really up to them to complain. If they are not interested in doing so then it's not really up to you to do so. As long as you are being paid appropriately, and it sounds as if you are, you have no complaint to make. You could make a third party report but that is likely to go onto the bottom of the list.

You are, of course, free to report to ICE that the boss is hiring illegals. If you are fired for doing so you do have legal recourse. Of course, that could result in your co-workers losing their jobs as well.

justalayman

Those that choose to close their eyes to some of the illegal practices really have no moral right to demand anything. You choose to work for a guy you know is breaking multiple laws and fail to do anything about it but get upset when you are told the boss intends to break laws that can injure your position.

Kind of hypocritical if you ask me.

Ignoring what the boss is doing hurts everybody, not just those working for him.

xylene

No Know?

Those that choose to close their eyes to some of the illegal practices really have no moral right to demand anything. You choose to work for a guy you know is breaking multiple laws and fail to do anything about it but get upset when you are told the boss intends to break laws that can injure your position.

Ignoring what the boss is doing hurts everybody, not just those working for him.
This is your moral perspective, not the law.

There is no duty to report immigration and or employment violations. You are advocating for a surveillance state.

He is covered if he should be injured on the job.

It is legal for the boss to restrict his hours.

He can't make a complaint on behalf of others for wage claims.

Being caught in a no win situation does not mean you are a hypocrite.

Beside work takes place in the labor market, where self interest prevails.

We expect a bread baker to put aside his self interest to earn a living and be protected because someone else is breaking the law... I need a more compelling case for that then hypocrisy.

justalayman

xylene;2860240]This is your moral perspective, not the law.
yep and if you didn't notice, I even spoke to the moral issue. Thanks for noticing.

There is no duty to report immigration and or employment violations. You are advocating for a surveillance state.
No, I am advocating he act in a manner that prevents injury to the citizens of my country.

He is covered if he should be injured on the job.
yep

It is legal for the boss to restrict his hours.
yep

He can't make a complaint on behalf of others for wage claims.
nope

Being caught in a no win situation does not mean you are a hypocrite.
complaining about how a the boss breaks the laws in how he treats and refusing to take any action to see that it is corrected and then complaining about how you are being treated illegally is though.

Beside work takes place in the labor market, where self interest prevails.
well, then the guy has nothing to complain about then. His self interest is the reason situations such as he is experiencing so he should live with the results of his actions.

We expect a bread baker to put aside his self interest to earn a living and be protected because someone else is breaking the law... I need a more compelling case for that then hypocrisy.
OK. How about this:

"First They Came for the Jews"
By Pastor Niemoller
First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.
If you are not willing to stand for others, by what right do you have to ask others to stand for you?

xylene

If you are not willing to stand for others, by what right do you have to ask others to stand for you?
In your metaphor using that famous poem, are the American workers or the Mexican workers represented by the Jews?

Because I really don't think that directly or indirectly reporting immigrants for documents violations to ICE was what Niemoller had in mind.

There is no non-lose action this worker can take to correct the situation, and losing his job to deport other workers is not a moral imperative.

commentator

"The only interest is self interest." I forget who said it.

Your boss is a cheapskate, a cheater and a liar. If you are hurt on the job, you will definitely be able to sue him, getting some of the profits he's making through his hiring and mistreatment of illegals and the vulnerable. It's so not worth it, though. Be careful, and be looking for another position. You can, you're the lucky one in this job site, cause you can go somewhere else and do better without fear.

He probably spends his free time on the streets waving signs that advocate we send those dreadful illegals back home, after arresting and punishing them, because the worse they are hated and villified by the general run of the mill citizen here, the less likely they are to demand any sort of protection or decent treatment or support from crooked employers like him.

But in the meantime, find another job, don't work for this creep any longer than you feel you have to. If you work at this one, it means you have accepted the conditions and hours and pay rates you were given, and now you're dissatisfied, saying it's not fair you don't get more overtime, when you actually get paid more on the books than these other people who get all of it without time and a half.

If there is something dangerous about the worksite, you certainly can bring it up, and report it to OSHA. You could report your employer to ICE, though it would probably be, as someone else has said, worse for the workers than for him, as the law so rarely goes after the employers who accept ID from potential employees that says their name is Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson or Tina Turner and still has a pricetag on the back.

Last edited:

justalayman

xylene;2860288]In your metaphor using that famous poem, are the American workers or the Mexican workers represented by the Jews?
It is not stating that any specific group, or even anybody in this situation is represented by the Jews. Who is being represented is the OP. He is the one telling the story.

Because I really don't think that directly or indirectly reporting immigrants for documents violations to ICE was what Niemoller had in mind.
That has nothing to do with it. It is, just as I spoke to in my first post: if you do not stand up for others, who will stand for you?

There is no non-lose action this worker can take to correct the situation, and losing his job to deport other workers is not a moral imperative.
no but it is a moral imperative to take whatever action one can to see that the laws of our country are upheld, especially when the laws involved are the reason the person is in the situation he is in.

If our immigration laws were enforced properly, OP would not be having the problem he is.

justalayman

commentator;2860298]"The only interest is self interest." I forget who said it.
maybe it is the guy responsible for all of the depravity we have today. If all one considers is oneself, then a society cannot succeed.

tranquility

Moral right? Let's see, a person chooses to work in these days of substantial unemployment and, because he does not call the government on regulatory violations by the boss, he has no moral right to demand anything?

I disagree.

Morality comes into the fact when we are talking about mala in se things. Otherwise morality is in the mind of whatever person doing the moralizing. Which alleged violation are we moralizing upon? Worker's comp or immigration?

Heck, I'm looking at a guy right now that looks a bit sketchy. If I don't follow up with authorities, can I still keep the moral right to complain? Oh, please?

no but it is a moral imperative to take whatever action one can to see that the laws of our country are upheld, especially when the laws involved are the reason the person is in the situation he is in.
Nope. Not only is it NOT a moral imperative, I might opine that the moral imperative is to fight laws that are wrong rather than inform authorities that someone else is violating them.

But, that's just me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">