• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of confidentiality by employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woods22

Just looking for some advice on how I can prove breach of confidentiality by employer or what I can do. I only told my Manager and supervisor something in confidentiality and the next day My co-work is spreading what I told to only my manager and Supervisor. I over heard some of my co-workers talking about what I told my Manager and Supervisor.

Thanks for the advise.

Proserpina

Just looking for some advice on how I can prove breach of confidentiality by employer or what I can do. I only told my Manager and supervisor something in confidentiality and the next day My co-work is spreading what I told to only my manager and Supervisor. I over heard some of my co-workers talking about what I told my Manager and Supervisor.

Thanks for the advise.
Tell us where you're located, please.

Do you believe a particular law has been broken?

woods22

Tell us where you're located, please.

Do you believe a particular law has been broken?
I'm from Vancouver Canada. Not sure if a law was broken but I told my employer I was sducidal last year but I was ok now. The next day I heard a co-Worker talking about it.

eerelations

As you were informed when you began posting your thread, this forum is for US law only. US and Canadian laws are very different.

That said, I have considerable expertise in Canadian law and will answer your question.

While Canada does have varied and strong privacy laws (unlike the US), these laws do not extend to employee comments to their employers. Comments to your employer about feeling suicidal at some point in your life are not protected by Canadian privacy laws, ergo, your employer has not broken any laws by passing these comments on to your coworkers.

Had you shown your employer a doctor's report wherein the doctor diagnoses you with suicidal tendencies, your employer discussing that report with your coworkers might be considered a breach of privacy. However, nothing in your post indicates that that is what occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">