• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken vertabrate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sedesuma

What is the name of your state?Iowa
Hi, I broke my C3, C4 vertabrate falling on a tarp at the home of my employer where I work. i work between 25-40+ hours per week. I just found out that they might not pay workers comp, because they say i'm part time. The insurance is also keeping me from seeing a neurosurgeon, that the ER doctor referred me to, that was last tuesday, no insurance guy has come. I am in a neck brace, with a tingling sensation everywhere below my neck, and i am told to restrict all unneccesary movement. I was wondering if I should contact a lawyer, or what else I should do. I can't work, and I can't go look for a job. So me and my wife are worrying about paying bills, please help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sedesuma said:
What is the name of your state?Iowa
Hi, I broke my C3, C4 vertabrate falling on a tarp at the home of my employer where I work. i work between 25-40+ hours per week. I just found out that they might not pay workers comp, because they say i'm part time. The insurance is also keeping me from seeing a neurosurgeon, that the ER doctor referred me to, that was last tuesday, no insurance guy has come. I am in a neck brace, with a tingling sensation everywhere below my neck, and i am told to restrict all unneccesary movement. I was wondering if I should contact a lawyer, or what else I should do. I can't work, and I can't go look for a job. So me and my wife are worrying about paying bills, please help.

My response:

You're "wondering" whether you should consult with an attorney? Well, then "wonder" no more!

IAAL

S

sedesuma

could you elaborate

anything other than your brief response, I am always liable

Beth3

"I just found out that they might not pay workers comp, because they say i'm part time."

Found out from who? The rumor mill or someone in management?

Whether an employee's status is full-time, part-time, on call, seasonal, or temporary is completely irrelevant. If an employee is injured on the job, the employer is liable under their State's WC regulations for their injuries. Contact the person who handles WC where you work and ask whether they've filed a First Report of Injury with their WC carrier. If you can't get a straight answer or they say they aren't going to, then by all means consult with a WC attorney right away.

ellencee

'danger, danger, Will Robinson'!

sedesuma
As an RN, I find your post quite disturbing. The replies you have received are accurate and I encourage you to take immediate action in two areas: legal and medical.

According to Iowa's Workers Comp laws, there is no exemption from employers' requirement to provide workers compensation insurance (based on number of employees) and "any employee working in or about a private dwelling (who is not a regular household member) whose earnings are $1,500 or more during the 12 consecutive months prior to an injury" must be insured by workers comp. This site may answer more of your questions and provide you with workers comp attorney referrals.
http://www.workerscompensation.com/iowa/quickfacts/glance.htm

Your description of tingling sensation below the area of vertebral fracture is a serious physical sign that can not be left untreated while you sort out the legal implications of your fall. Make the appointment with the neurosurgeon AT ONCE. Your description of your condition indicates a potentially high risk for permanent paralysis, partial or complete, from the level of the fracture downward.

Best wishes,
EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">