• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brown Recluse Infestation At Work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UghinMissouri

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I work at a small old motel as a desk clerk at night. The office is HEAVILY infested with brown recluse spiders. The management put down gluetraps(6 months ago and were done with it) which has effectively caught hundreds of the little menaces in the past 2 months alone. They haven't done anything else to control them and noone ever comes by to clean the traps.

I am terrified that because they are not being very proactive about this. I have nightly run-ins with them whether they are crawling along the floor or hiding in my desk drawers. I find live ones everywhere. I have been lucky so far not to have been bitten.

I have informed them that the population has not gone down and seems to be getting worse. Aren't they responsible for keeping my workplace safe and free from venomous spiders? Is their approach considered acceptable?

Thanks for reading this and I apologize ahead of time if this isn't the best area to have put my post under.

Last edited:

justalayman

I would suggest contacting the local department of health or an OSHA office. Yes, they are required to provide you with a safe place to work and to remove whatever hazards that can be controlled. As it stands, I would see a person getting bitten as having a valid claim of negligence against the employer which is about the only way to get around the workers comp restrictions of suing your employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">