• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired for informing co-workers of potential harmful office conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suddenlysus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Up until 2 days ago I was employed FT until I was suspended for informing a co-worker that in our current office mold was found under several of our offices. Only reason we found out was because the place was being remodeled and the owner of the building had decided to paint the office. When my director and I saw the mold we quickly informed the higher ups in our corporate office. We since then have temporarily relocated and one of the higher ups offered the people situated in the office to file worker's comp if it would relieve us from any concerns. Out of the whole office only 1 employer applied as she was pregnant during the time when the mold was found and even though she was on maternity leave we knew the place had been infested with critters, poor insulation, fowl smells, and mold under the carpet. The higher ups were questioning her as to who had told her about the mold but she did not give up any names. She filed for workers comp because she had develop a form of allergy that she did not have prior to her pregnancy, as it is known that when you are pregnant your immune system is different. There was a mold test and 1 failed and the results were that there was mold then they set some sort of filtering fans for several days and re-did the test which stated the air at that time was cleaned. We have not seen any other tests, there were no reports, and it appears as though the workers comp company is unaware that there was even mold. They found out I had told my co-workers and I have since been suspended. I am afraid to lose my job and other horrible things these people may do to me. What can I do? Please help.

Eekamouse

Sure they can fire you for this. They can fire you for wearing a ugly blouse if they want to. They can fire you for no reason at all.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears they terminated you before you could qualify for protection under the whistleblower statute.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/whistleblowersnotice.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">