• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I leave work for failure to address concerns of work-related wrist pain? WC vs UE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpro123

Can I leave work for failure to address concerns of work-related wrist pain? WC vs UI

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MICHIGAN

I work as a Security Officer for a company which I have worked at for a few years. I am officially rated as a Flex/Contingent employee. I am an employee of the company, and not a contract/outside officer.

My day consists of occupying a post, where I write information down on a clipboard for the entire eight hour shift. Other officers have a rotation at this post for two hours at a time (only two rotations per day), and they do rounds the other two rotations. My position is specifically at this post all eight hours.

In this post, I have to write information down on a clipboard for several hours at a time. During and after work, I realized how much pain my wrists were from holding my pen and clipboard at irregular angles for several hours. There are no other ways to hold it. I spoke with our in-house Occupational Therapist, and she stated she will try to get an easel out to this post to eliminate having to hold up the board. She told my superior immediately after I visited her, but he has done nothing so far. It's been about two months since I've notified him (but more time since I've been having these pains), and he hasn't made any changes. The pain stays for quite sometime after work, and rarely does it go away.

I was wondering, would I be eligible for worker's compensation in Michigan?

What about unemployment in Michigan?

What is the best way to approach this situation? I would like to keep them as a reference for employment in the future. I have a perfect record, and have never had a negative mark on my performance reviews.

Last edited:

Your claim for workers' compensation is a stretch, especially in Michigan. Your injury hasn't caused you to miss work.

Last edited:

tpro123

Your claim for workers' compensation is a stretch, especially in Michigan. Your injury hasn't caused you to miss work.
I can't miss work because unlike other Officers, I do not have benefits such as sick days or health insurance. I would work through the pain, or else I would not have food on the table.

I sympathize with your situation. I would continue to nicely press the issue, and see if something can be done to put less stress on your wrist.

Good Luck!

Master Moron1

I don't know about Michigan law, so I would try to talk to a Michigan worker's compensation attorney immediately. But, in my state you would need to get a doctor's note putting you on a work restriction. That would be the first step you would have to take. However, that is for my state. I would recommend you talk to an attorney in Michigan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">