• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my dentist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elkordym

I live in NYC,

sunday before last, I went for a general clean up to a new dentist close to my house and he said i have a cavity and needed to be fixed. I said sure fix it.

ever since then i had a crazy pain in my ears and the back of my neck my jaws and my head...I couldn't eat,drink or sleep. so, I call the clinic and they said its normal to be sensitive to cold and hot stuff after a filling has been done, just take some pain killers and it will go away by itself.

Last Sunday i couldn't take it any longer and went straight there. So they took x-rays and then put some gel on my gum and told me you will feel better now. I asked what was wrong they said nothing much it is just your teeth that is extra sensitive and that I should brush it with sensodine toothpaste.

I go home and the pain starts again, So, I go back to the clinic again last Wednesday and another doctor saw me this time and said they had to do a root canal on my molar (one of the two they filled a week earlier). So I said do whatever necessary just make this pain stop.

They did a root canal and again the pain never stopped!

So finally today i went to another dentist (my old dentist) today and he looked at my x-rays and said he needed to do another root canal on the molar next to the one they just did 3 days ago. He also said this molar had a big filling in it and the nerve was completely exposed and that is what was causing me all that pain for all this time.

After her did the root canal the pains finally stops...but that made me wonder may be the other root canal they have done was unnecessary.

Again, its true, I might have had cavities on those 2 molars but they never hurt me and i was fine, but since he touch them i had to have two root canals in a period of 3 weeks and experienced more pain than any other time of my entire life.

During those two weeks i finished 2 bottles of Excedrin extra strength as well as some vicodin they prescribed me. and now i have an unbelievable acidic reaction to anything i eat.

I had to take 2 sick days/2 personal days and was working like a zombie for 3 weeks.

I have suffered pain for a long time due to my nerve being dangerously exposed because my dentist didn't do his job right. And hopefully, i don't have an ulcer because of all these Excedrin i've been popping .

The question is can i sue this dentist? and how much can i sue him for? and do i need to have the new dentist to write anything down for me? and how long does this process take.

Dereks1

One problem with the human body is it is not like a tire. Bad tire? Just replace it.

With a root canal, every tooth is different. Nerves can be exposed. That can cause pain. Sometimes, follow-up is needed.

It will be very hard to prove that the 1st root canal was done wrong. It could have been that your tooth nerve was exposed and a bigger root canal done. Maybe a huge root canal wasn't done at first since making a huge hole is no good.

You should, however, politely let the dentist who did the first root canal that you had pain. Maybe they may be too conservative and try to preserve tooth structure so they will make slightly bigger root canals in future patients (but not so huge the tooth structure is weakened).

I'm no dentist so I don't know dental technique much.

Sorry about your tooth.

What I've learned reading this is to brush teeth after meals. Prevention is better than enduring the pain you had to go through.

ecmst12

Why do you keep comparing the human body to a car? Why are you posting when you have no LEGAL advice to offer?

elkordym

What are your permanent damages?
I suffered unnecessary severe pain for 3 weeks, they gave me an unnecessary root canal. I lost 2 sick days and 2 personal days, I took large amount of pain killers in a short period of time that caused me stomach problems which i will find out this Tuesday how bad it is.

Proserpina

I suffered unnecessary severe pain for 3 weeks, they gave me an unnecessary root canal. I lost 2 sick days and 2 personal days, I took large amount of pain killers in a short period of time that caused me stomach problems which i will find out this Tuesday how bad it is.

Who instructed you to take the large amounts of Excedrin in addition to the Vicodin? You self-medicated, correct?

Come back on Tuesday when you get your results...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">