• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cigarette Smoke Coming Through Walls Making Me Sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimmiller112

Hilton Head, South Carolina

I work in an office in a shopping plaza, that until a couple of months ago occupied 2 stories. My employer has been in this location for 20 years. Because we downsized, we did not need the space on the 2nd floor. We were originally told by the plaza management that it would be turned into storage with its own entrance. They ended up turning it into a private apartment with its own entrance, deadbolting the door we used to use to access the space.

I stopped by the management office on June 1, 2011 with a complaint of smoking coming from the space that was changed from office space to an apartment above our office. I was told by the property manager that the woman occupying the space had not signed a lease at that point and that it would be stipulated in the lease that smoking would not be permitted. I suffer from chronic sinusitis and get a sinus infection every time I am exposed to cigarette smoke. I explained this to him and he told me he would talk to the tenant. The smoking continued.

On June 14, 2011, I got a sinus infection and finally went to the doctor on June 17 because I felt I needed medical treatment. I was prescribed an antibiotic and prednisone. I tried calling the property manager several times the following week but he was out of the office each time and did not return any of my calls, regardless of whether I left a voice mail or a message with the person who answered the phone. I stopped by the office towards the end of that week and spoke to the property manager in person, who informed me that it was impossible for the smoke to come through the walls or vents and that someone in maintenance would do something to seal the door leading from our office to the space upstairs to prevent the smoke from coming through the old access door-not done.

At that time, he informed me that she is permitted to smoke in her section of the building. I asked if an apartment was permitted in the building since it is commercial and his reply was that it was permitted because it was "grandfathered in" since it has both a bathroom and a kitchen.

After speaking to several people in the real estate business, I was informed that this is not a case of being "grandfathered in". The definition of "grandfather clause" or "grandfathered in" is an exception that allows an old rule to continue to apply to some existing situations, when a new rule will apply to all future situations. It looks like I have two issues with the shopping plaza: 1) There is a personal apartment in a commercial building when that space was previously used as office space, regardless of the fact that it has both a bathroom and a kitchen 2) I feel that this violates Hilton Head's smoking ban, which bans smoking in all indoor bars, restaurants and work places and states that smoking is banned within 25 feet of doors or windows of a public building. Since my office (and the space above it) occupies a public building, I feel that the shopping plaza and the tenant are in violation of this ordinance. And, since this smoking ban took effect on May 1, 2007, during the time my employer occupied and used the office space on the second floor, the "grandfather clause" should not apply as this tenant moved in this year and not before May 1, 2007.

As a result of the sinus infection that was caused by the smoke I was forced to inhale in my workplace, I also suffered a neck injury. At a consultation with a chiropractor on July 6, 2011, I was informed that it is not unheard of for a neck injury to occur during a sinus infection as they are somewhat related to each other. The morning of June 21, 2011, while I was suffering from my sinus infection and taking antibiotics and prednisone for this infection, I woke up with severe neck pain. I was barely able to move my head. I assumed that it was caused by me taking prednisone, as one of the side effects of this medication is muscle and joint soreness and pain. Because the pain did not go away and my head movement was still very limited, I went to the doctor on June 24, 2011, where I was prescribed a muscle relaxant and something for pain. I was told that my neck pain was not caused by taking prednisone and it was suggested that I may want to
see a chiropractor. I have had two sessions, one on July 7 and one on July 14. While my range of movement is getting better and the pain is quite a bit better, I still don't have my full range of movement of my head back completely, nor, am I pain free. The chiropractor has suggested weekly sessions until I am better. My next appointment is on July 21.

The past 3 weeks haven't been too bad, but the smoke was bad today. I'm pretty certain I will get another sinus infection, especially since I work the next 8 days straight. While I have health insurance, I am out of pocket for what is not covered. I anticipate more out of pocket expenses. I have had to miss work and will probably have to miss more work.

What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LillianX

You have zero cause of action against anyone. Get an air filter.

Also, stop being gullible enough to believe that a sinus infection can cause a neck injury.

kimmiller112

No, offense, but you don't know what you are talking about

From what I have been told, in my town it is illegal for an office space to be changed to a private apartment in a commercial building, and, also we have a smoking ordinance that bans smoking in any bar, restaurant or office or within 25 feet of any bar, restaurant or office space. She is within 25 feet when she is in any part of her apartment. I have been dealing with sinus infections for 12 years. According to my doctor and chiropractor, neck strains can happen when there is excessive coughing, which I had and is one of the symptoms of sinus infections. So, unless you are a doctor, I think I will believe what my doctor and my chiropractor says. My guess is that you are a smoker and have no idea what kind of problems that non-smokers are exposed to by being around smokers, whether it is allergies, sinus issues, second hand smoke, and, who know what. I do now that I can contact the local authorities who can investigate and issue a fine - I don't know if it would go to her or the owner of the shopping plaza, although I suspect it is the later.

I shouldn't have to purchase an air filter. I am supposed to be protected by the laws of the ordinance to be able to work in a smoke free environment. At this point, because of the money I am out of pocket , the time I have had to miss work because of all of this, and the fact that because the smoke is so strong and I would have to buy an expensive air filter, I do not have the money to do so, unless either of you would like to volunteer???

Last edited:

LillianX

If you believe the apartment is illegal, call your city's code enforcement people and have them investigate. That's literally the only thing you can do.

I'm glad that you acknowledge that I am correct in that a sinus infection cannot cause a neck injury. Coughing can. There is a pretty significant difference there.

Last, but not least, chiropractors are NOT medical doctors.

kimmiller112

However, I saw BOTH a medical doctor and a chiropractor who both informed my that the severe coughing (because of the sinus infection) can cause neck injuries.

I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to recoup the money I am out of pocket from what has/will not be covered by insurance, as well as the money lost from missing work due to being sick, going to the doctor on two occasions so far, going to the chiropractor 3 times so far (not covered by insurance until I meet my deductible), and, possible pain and suffering as I would not have had the neck injury if I had not been coughing because of the sinus infection I incurred due to the fact that the owner of the building is not complying with zoning laws, as well as the smoking ordinance. I have not been able to work out, drive without discomfort and have been in enough pain several evenings that I have just flat out cried because of the pain.

A member of the management of the shopping plaza emailed me after I sent an email similar to my original post. He emailed me back this evening asking to see me for an appointment on Monday - I just now saw it. I am guessing that he originally thought I was too stupid to realize that they are breaking laws and that I would not do anything. I am pretty confident that the smoking will stop on Monday, since he emailed me on a day the office is closed. I am thinking of giving him a list of my out of pocket expenses and what I expect my upcoming expenses will be, as well as letter from my employer letting him know how many hours of work I missed with my hourly wage just to see what he says. The owner of the shopping plaza is a wealthy man and I'm wondering if my case is strong enough to take to a local attorney - I just don't want to incur more expenses by hiring an attorney if I don't have enough of a case to take to court.

If an attorney can answer that particular question, I would be very appreciative.

kimmiller112

Hope your boss is going to enjoy looking for a new establishment.... :cool:
After 30 years in business, they are actually getting close to retiring and closing the business (within the next 12 months, but they are leaning towards about 6 months from now). So that really doesn't have any bearing on the matter. Let the management go through the motions of evicting them. With the way my town works, it would take at least a year for that to happen. I've seen cases where it's taken two years for evictions to go through here. They will be retired by then. One of my neighbors lived rent-free for one year, eight months before the eviction finally went through. That's why I want to pursue this from a financial standpoint if I can. Otherwise, I would never compromise their business and would have only pursued the smoking issue. In fact, one of my bosses are one of the people who told me that it might be worth pursuing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">