• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting Claims?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Staten.Islander

I live in Staten Island, New York and I was hoping to get advice on what others would do if in the same situation that I am in.

Since the longer this goes on the more complicated it gets I'll list the important points in an attempt to make my story as understandable as possible.

Worker's Compensation

1) I suffered an on the job back injury in July, 2009.
2) I pushed through a Worker's Comp claim, which I won.
3) I received a $4,000+ check in February 2010, but nothing at all from Worker's Comp after that.
4) IAfter about 1/2 dozen hearings I'm told the insurance company wants to close the case.
5) An initial offer of $30,000 was just received and I have to meet with my attorney Sept 24th.

Worker's Compensation Discrimination

1) I pushed through a Worker's Compensation Discrimination claim in March, 2011, which I won.
2) The judge sided with me on the appeal. (I thought my employer would have to take me back to work).
3) I was then told I needed to get an attorney to acquire damages, so I got one in early 2012, but I've heard nothing at all.

Social Security Disability

1) I filed a Social Security disability claim in August 2011.
2) My health issues prevent employment but I was still denied S.S.D.
3) Unable to get hospital to document whether my conditions are permanent or treatable, so denied again.

Public Assistance

1) I’ve been on full Public Assistance since October, 2011.
2) This doesn’t cover my bills, so I began going into debt in July, 2012.
3) Re-injured back at a doing "volunteer" work required by law due to my receipt of public assistance.

I don't know when any of the above ever gets resolved, but can anyone tell me how the Worker's Compensation, Worker's Compensation Discrimination, and Social Security Disability claims (which I have three different attorneys for) would conflict with each other?

Thanks.

commentator

How many attorneys do you have? Is one that you'll be meeting with on Sept 24th the same one who is dealing with your Worker's Comp Discrimination suit which you've heard nothing on since 2012? Did you have an attorney to work with you on your SSDI appeal? I don't see what the public assistance portion of your post has to do with any of the rest of it, except that if you do receive that $30K settlement from Worker's Comp claim, you'll certainly need to report that and will doubtless lose your public assistance for a while.

Who were you asking the "hospital" (assume this means your doctor(s))to document this to?

We assume you had and submitted your medical records when filing for SSDI, correct? Or your attorney did if you had an attorney.

If you were in such a condition as to be unable to get a work waiver for your Public Assistance case, you were probably able and available for work when you hurt your back doing the public service job, and weren't a good case for permanent disability anyhow. Did you try to get one? What condition are you in now?

Last edited:

Staten.Islander

Yesterday I spent an hour carefully writing a responce only to have the site log me out when I attempted to post just before my computer time ran out at the local library, so I'm not going to bother doing it again.

I'll just revisit my first question and ask how any of the claims may contradict or negate each other so I can dcide what I shouldn't be pursuing.

Thanks.

Staten.Islander

I don't see how anyone other than your lawyers could possibly tell you that.
Then I'm in trouble because that is a dead end.

And there would be no way to know if I'm getting the correct recommendation unless it was from someone unrelated to either of my claims anyway.

Why is is so difficult to get an attorney to to even return an e-mail promptly, if at all? This seems to be an industry wide problem.

I can even find an attorney to get back to me to even discuss taking over my already won Worker's COmpensation Discrimination claim.

Proserpina

I'll only address the SSDI part.

Without having adequate documentation, you could literally have half of your brain hanging out and still be denied. They want, and NEED, documentation not only of your condition but of any and all treatment.

If you can't provide this, there's virtually no chance of ever being approved.

Staten.Islander

I'll only address the SSDI part.

Without having adequate documentation, you could literally have half of your brain hanging out and still be denied. They want, and NEED, documentation not only of your condition but of any and all treatment.

If you can't provide this, there's virtually no chance of ever being approved.
I know that. Thanks to the incompetancy of the medical establishment I'm pretty much screwed with no way to get around the problem. (I can't even get patient services to listen to me).

Staten.Islander

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">