• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dangerous repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

no-shock

What is the name of your state? Illinois/Indiana/Wisconsin/Michigan

I am employeed by a company as a sales consultant/representative. I was told when when I took the job that I might have to go to the customers site to problem solve issues. After a few weeks on the job I found out that I am expected to fix/repair products that are electrically connected to the power system at the end users site. I have no formal electrical training or certification and my company has not provided me any training or information on what to do. I call my boss and have him walk me through repairs that involve shutting off breakers, checking wall switches and wiring. Is this legal? and am I personally liable for any damage that I may cause at the site? Is the company liable if I hurt myself?
Thank you.

Beth3

Yes, the company is liable (under WC reg's) if you hurt yourself but that will be little consolation if you're electrocuted. Unless you're performing work that those States require only a licensed electriction/contractor perform, then it's not illegal. As to personal liability, it's possible. If a customer files a civil suit over damage you cause, they're mainly interested in going after the party with the big pockets (your employer) but you will quite possibly be named as well.

I have no idea whether what you're being asked to do is reasonable although shutting off circuit breakers and checking wall switches is not that a big a deal unless you're at an industrial or similar site. Sales reps and the like sometimes do troubleshoot equipment problems in the field but if you feel unsafe doing this, then you shouldn't be doing it and you may need to decide to start looking for another job immediately if your employer still won't provide training.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">