• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Day labor injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eztzone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I am a general contractor licensed and insured, I hired a day labor to remove construction debris, however when I am not on site, the day labor ask the home owner to take him get another helper, and the homeowner took him to get the helper. The helper injured in less than 10mins while working and called 911. He then hired a lawyer sending a letter to the homeowner requesting insurance information. My question is as a general contractor, am I liable for such incident even though they picked up the helper without my consent?

eztzone

What did your insurance company say?

99.99% chance they are running a scam.
The attorney letter was sent to the homeowner, they do not have any of my information, so I did not contact my insurance yet. no matter scam or not, the incident happened at the jobsite.

OHRoadwarrior

Why is it I suspect the "day laborers" do not have legal "gov't employment documents"? You get what you pay for. This will do wonders for advertising your business. It is not your problem, unless the one of them attempts to argue the employee as a representative of your business, hired the person.

swalsh411

Why is it I suspect the "day laborers" do not have legal "gov't employment documents"?
Because you are racist?

It is not your problem, unless the one of them attempts to argue the employee as a representative of your business, hired the person.
That is exactly what this person will claim, hence why I said it's a well known scam in day labor circles.

OP may or may not be liable, but trying to hide from it will not help him. He was supposed to be in charge of the work at that job site.

OHRoadwarrior

Because you are racist

Actually you should hear OP's response on another forum, where another poster asked the same question. Being racist and knowing how low contractors will go breaking the law, as long as they are the ones profiting off it, are mutually exclusive. OP simply wants to know how he can get out from under this mess, without getting himself in more trouble, so he can go back to business as usual.

elenajane

You are not liable to pay for that incident because that whole scene was done in your absence or authority. So why are you pay for that ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">