• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Degenerative Workplace Injuries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorkedStiff

I am located in the state of Virginia. I am an 60 year old assembly line worker for an international company. I have worked 16 years for them and unfortunately have developed health problems which no longer allow me to preform at my job in the previous capacity. I acquired these health complications as a result of my job. I have been placed on medical leave off and on for the past several years due to the fact that my condition had prevented me from performing my task to the best of my ability. The last work station I was placed in caused several more problems, not to mention that they did not provide me with the proper tools need for the station. Nevertheless, while out on medical leave due to my last station, my doctors recently discovered that I am unable to do anything except "light work". My employers were told this. Upon finding this out, there response was that I should "quit" or be sent back to the same station as they do not have "any light work". I have an 401k with them and I am in dire need of money as I am not receiving any at the moment. I do not want to quit because this may mean that I am unable to collect any benefits however, I can not go back to work and risk my injury worsening. I told them that I can not work the old station because it is clearly against doctors orders, so they want me to now sign papers stating that in the future I will not hold them liable for anything.. ie. my conditions which now leave me unable to do any work, which is not light duty. They call these papers exit papers, can they withhold my pension if I do not agree to sign these papers? Is it legal to fire someone and require them to absolve/relinguish you of any wrong doing before you give them what is owed to them? Can they be held liable for my injuries which are degenerative and now render me virtually unable to work?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Most of this has already been answered in your all but duplicate post on the Employment Law forum. About the only part that isn't, is that if you believe your employment is responsible for your condition, you CAN file a workers comp claim. But before you ask, no, you cannot sue them. Workers comp is your SOLE recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">