• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do i need a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zenhuman

What is the name of your state?Kentucky

i need some help figuring out what to do in my situation. last week i got a back injury from the act of another employee. later that week i went to the chiropractor to see if he could help (my back hurt alot). i went to him 2 days in a row, paying for it myself. nothing he did helped, so i decided to go to the dr. because i have no insurance, i approached my employer and said i didnt think it was fair i should pay for all of this, as this was an injury from another worker while on the job. that was saturday, until that point, my employer had not taken any steps to help me out in this situation. until i said something they acted like nothing had ever happened, and that it wasn't that big of a deal. well it was a big deal, yet they never had me fill out an accident report until i finally stood up for myself on saturday, that was 5 days after it had happened! also, they never did anything to the person who hurt me! nothing! he got to work still while i was sitting at home in pain because i could not work. my employer finally gave in and said she file workers comp for me, which paid for my one day at the dr and the meds he gave me. granted this injury will heal, and shouldnt be life threatening, however i have a whole list of restrictions right now preventing me from working basically anywhere, unless its a job where i get sit all day. what kind of rights do i have here and how should i deal with this situation? i was treated very unfairly here by the employer, and now i'm paying for it..because i am making no money and i had to pay for my own visits to the chiropractor...somebody help, should i get a lawyer?

Beth3

Slow down a minute. Why would your employer "do anything" until such time as you informed them you were having sufficient back pain to seek medical treatment??? Once you informed them that you had sought medical attention, they did what they needed to do, which is to file a first report of injury with their WC carrier.

It's only been what - a couple of days? - since you notified your employer about seeking medical attention and they filed the injury report with the WC carrier. There is nothing in your post that suggests you have been treated unfairly by your employer, nor has there been time for the WC carrier to respond to the injury report, or for anyone here to offer a valid opinion as to whether you need a lawyer.

If the WC carrier accepts liability for your injury, you will be reimbursed for the chiropractic visits you paid for.

Z

zenhuman

no, they knew about the injury for 3 days and they knew about the incident for 5 days. infact, when i spoke to them, and informed them i needed medical assistance, they didnt suggest helping me at all, even though i told them that my injury was from another employee. i had to go to them for help, and they were very hesitant when i even asked them about workers comp. they never suggested filling out an accident report until 5 days after it happened, when i said something about it. also, does it not matter that the employee who hurt me (he's a 230lb guy, i'm a 115lb girl) didnt get into any trouble at all, infact, he is still working there?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's still too soon to expect a response from the workers comp carrier.

There are NO circumstances in which an employer is required to terminate an employee. And you have no idea what other discipline may have been imposed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">