• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Doctors note for Work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ravensfan1139

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

Ok, So here is the deal. I work at an retail store that also has a garden center attached to it, which is where I really work (the garden center). Long story short somehow (in june of 2009) I hurt my back causing myself to get an herniated disk in my lower back. At first the pain was not that bad, it felt like I had pulled a muscle and I thought it would go away, So I never filled out an injury report. Not only that but I wasn't sure if I had hurt myself on the job or not. So down the road the pain got worse, so I went to see a doctor. After months of physical therapy and beeing medicated I still was not healed. During this time I was handing in doctors notes, but my boss was ignoring them. I was still being ordered to do heavy lifting and other things that were against my note.

So eventually I had to have surgery done. My surgery date was on October 4th 2009. I returned to work, with a doctors note saying what I could and couldn't do. I was again ordered to do heavy lifting and do other things that were against my doctors note. When it snowed (we had 3 blizzards here) I had to shovel snow. During the summer we layed out a bunch of pavers to put on display to sell to customers, and I mean probably 1,000's of pavers. So during teh winter (after surgery) I was ordered to pick them up. And there was a bunch of other things they had me do as well that I shouldn't of.

The thing is I only turned in ONE doctors note after surgery (in 2009). And it is now August 2010. My question is, is one doctors note enough? How long does that Doctors note last? And what actions can I take against my work? For the most part my back feels fine but I still get pains here and there. But maybe I wouldn't have these pains every once in a while if they had just followed my doctors note.

Also they have been asking for an updated note for months now, threatening to move me into another department and cutting my hours if I don't turn one in. But this talk has been going on for months now and nothing is happening. I am getting to think they just want this new note to cover anything up in case I do come out and say they didn't follow my note from my doctor after I had surgery.

So what actions can I take for this? Anything would be great.

If I need to display anymore information details on this situation just post what you want me to add and I'll reply when I get back from work. Thanks in advance!

Ravensfan1139

There was no claim, I never filed an injury report for/from work. My insurance took care of most the bills.

Mods this may be in the wrong section, if so please move it to the proper one, thanks.

And I am not even looking to get money (I'll take free money tho lol) I am more so looking for a way so that actions will be taken against my boss for being an ass and not doing his job by following doctors notes. And I want to be legit and classy about it and not make a fool of myself, I just don't think my boss handled things the way he should of and for that he should be punished or properly taught how to do things the right way for situations like this, cause it's really not fair.

ecmst12

Also he wasn't even sure if he got hurt at work, so he didn't have a very strong claim to begin with.

Ravensfan1139

Well I am pretty sure I did hurt myself at work, I just waited to long to file an injury report and thats not even the point of why I posted in the first place. I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE A CLAIM. Re-read my original post and read the last few paragraphs a few times (until you get it, then respond) and my second post as well.

FlyingRon

Reread ecmsts answer. They were free to fire you a long time ago. The real world isn't like high school. Notes from your mommy or the doctor don't excuse you. If you were injured on the job and reported it, you might have some standing. As it is, you're just an AWOL employee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you don't want to file a claim there is nothing you can do. Workers comp is the ONLY option for a work related injury.

Get it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">