• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does my homeowner insurance cover work comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bh1240

What is the name of your state? california
I plan to hire several guys to do some landscaping on my backyard. I am not sure whether i need to buy work comp to protect me from any suits if any injuries happen.someone said i dont need to buy work comp because homeowner insurance will cover work comp.Does any body know for sure about that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bh1240 said:
What is the name of your state? california
I plan to hire several guys to do some landscaping on my backyard. I am not sure whether i need to buy work comp to protect me from any suits if any injuries happen.someone said i dont need to buy work comp because homeowner insurance will cover work comp.Does any body know for sure about that.

My response:

Yours is not a "legal" question. Yours is a "coverage" question.

Call your insurance company and ask - - if you can't find your answer by reading your own policy.

IAAL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But I will tell you that it is extremely unlikely that your homeowners policy will cover workers comp. Call the company and ask, but be prepared to hear that you need to buy a separate policy.

Beth3

I take it these guys are going to be "casual labor"? It's very doubtful that any State requires someone to purchase WC insurance for temporarily employing three or four individuals. What you probably DO need to have is general liability insurance which should be an addendum to your homeowner's anyway.

As everyone else has said, you need to call your insurance agent and discuss this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">