• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does my new job have to know about my workers comp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DPGZ

What is the name of your state? California

I work at a new company and i am starting to show signs of carpal tunnel. Iam afraid to tell my boss because I had a workers comp case due to a back injury at my old job.

Do I have to tell my boss about my previous case, will the company find out if I dont tell them...I dont want to look bad.

:(

HomeGuru

DPGZ said:
What is the name of your state? California

I work at a new company and i am starting to show signs of carpal tunnel. Iam afraid to tell my boss because I had a workers comp case due to a back injury at my old job.

Do I have to tell my boss about my previous case, will the company find out if I dont tell them...I dont want to look bad.

:(
**A: the truth is out there.

Beth3

If you advise your employer that the job is injuring you, they will file a worker's comp claim with their carrier. The insurance carrier will investigate and obtain copies of all your relevant medical records from the doctors who have treated/diagnosed your carpal tunnel. They do not need your permission to do this. Medical privacy laws do not apply in worker's comp situations.

So yes, your current employer will discover you had a medical condition that was very likely going to be aggravated by the job you accepted with them and that you did not tell them about before you were hired. As to what the consequences will be, if any, there are too many variables here to hazard a guess.

R

Ramoth

Beth3, I think you're making a leap here. They OP had a previous WC claim for a back injury, and the post doesn't mention any back problems. If the previous injury is not related to the current one, would that information still show up anywhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">