• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does workers comp cover time off during the day?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ariastar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My fiance has developed the early stage of carpal tunnel from his job, bad enough that he can't pick up our daughter easily. They're going to cover the occupational therapy from it, but our concern is that the office is open during normal business hours, which is usually when he's working. Going to the appointments (not negotiable, he's going) will cause a financial hit to us if the time isn't paid. Just the driving is an hour round trip. He took his PTO earlier this year when I had emergency surgery and has mere hours at this point.

Will his employer be required to pay for the time he's spending going to these appointments rather than work?

Last edited:

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My fiance has developed the early stage of carpal tunnel from his job, bad enough that he can't pick up our daughter easily. They're going to cover the occupational therapy from it, but our concern is that the office is open during normal business hours, which is usually when he's working. Going to the appointments (not negotiable, he's going) will cause a financial hit to us if the time isn't paid. Just the driving is an hour round trip. He took his PTO earlier this year when I had emergency surgery and has mere hours at this point.

Will his employer be required to pay for the time he's spending going to these appointments rather than work?
Normally if an employer accepts liability for a work related injury, they will keep you on the clock while you go to your therapy. However, I know of no law that requires it. If the injured employee was off work totally, he / she would be paid 2/3rds of their wage.

If they don't keep said employee on the clock while they go to therapy, as long as the injured employee is still making at least 2/3rd of their wages, pehaps nothing further from that can be done. California Workers Comp. Law does allow mileage at the rate of .50 per mile to and from doctor's visits. Make sure you keep track of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">