• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employee driving personal car for business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DEERAE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hello,
Recently a college student who was hired for the summer was driving his vehicle while on the clock working.
He was travelling from one company site to another.
Another employee was following him.
So far no report of any injuries to him but he had a motor vehicle accident while clocked in that was from what I have heard so far to be his fault. He is 18 years old. I heard that he had quite a bit of damage to his car and to whatever he hit.
Can you foresee any liability to the company?
Thank you!

Also, would it have been better for him to be off the clock and get mileage?
We were trying to do what was best and easiest for him.
D

workmans comp is all I can see (others may see additional issues); if he wants to go that route.

I don't know exactly how you are currently paying him (hourly w/o gas & mileage etc) so if its the best I dont know.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Workers comp only applies if HE is injured.

In MA, if he's driving for business on work hours, you HAVE to pay him mileage - state law.

Your company liability insurance may be on the hook for the damage. Can't say for sure with the info we have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">