• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employee Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debkit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I drive a company car, and until recently (Dec 2009) had a company gas card. This was taken away and I now purchase the gas and get reimbursed when I use the car for company business. I was recently told that when driving to and from work, since this is not company business if I meet with an accident I am liable. Is this correct and also, yesterday I was told I needed to remove the child seat (my grand-daughter age 2 lives with us) from the car. When I said I drove my grand-daughter to /from day care the admin manager just shrugged his shoulders. I realize it is a company car but can he tell me to remove the child seat even when I am not driving customers or company employees around. This is just one of many incidents that have recently occurred and I am wondering if this could be termed "harassment".

Thank you for your guidance / insight.

justalayman

no, it is not harassment.

you could drive your own car to work and then pick up the company car if you don't like the system in place currently.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I drive a company car, and until recently (Dec 2009) had a company gas card. This was taken away and I now purchase the gas and get reimbursed when I use the car for company business. I was recently told that when driving to and from work, since this is not company business if I meet with an accident I am liable. Is this correct and also, yesterday I was told I needed to remove the child seat (my grand-daughter age 2 lives with us) from the car. When I said I drove my grand-daughter to /from day care the admin manager just shrugged his shoulders. I realize it is a company car but can he tell me to remove the child seat even when I am not driving customers or company employees around. This is just one of many incidents that have recently occurred and I am wondering if this could be termed "harassment".

Thank you for your guidance / insight.
So. Very. Quotable.

You do not have any sort of "right" to use a company car for any reason other than company business. That includes having sticky small children and their permanent carseats in the company car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">