• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are employers required to take accident reports

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shappell

What is the name of your state?Michigan
I am 41 years old, and have Hepatitus C. I suspect i contracted it at work in a fall. I was in a state police blood crime lab, removeing old window blinds and replacing them with new. There was no place to stand except on the counter top, that turned out to be a removeable section, not secured. While pulling out the old blind the counter top collapsed. I cut myself either on the old blind, or on a plexiglass shroud that surrounds a centrifical force blood separater. I went to a redicare and recieved 3 stiches for the cut. The next day I was called back to the Lab. where the state took an accident report on the incident, (i gave a copy to my employer and i have one) and advised to get my blood tested, as every rapest, murderer,drug addict etc....was tested there, And on occassion a vial of blood breaks. I went back to the redicare and told them I needed my blood tested, due to the accident. They asked tested for what? I said that the lab told me they would know. No tests were run as they didnt know what to test for. This was 10 years ago.

1 1/2 years ago i went in for a physical, and was told i have Hep C. The doctors assured me the fall was probably not where i had goten it. As i had tried Cocaine about 6 times in my life. they say this was the most likely source. (Never injected, just snorted.) Im presently entering my 5th month of a 6 month treatment, that im told is about 3700 dollars a month, and am almost cured. My wifes HMO is covering 99% of the cost.

My question is do i have any chance of workers comp covering this with a short history of Cocaine use? (Very short use.) Should my employer have took his own accident report.( as he did not and never does when an employee reports a fall, back strain, or other work related injury)

Beth3

My question is do i have any chance of workers comp covering this with a short history of Cocaine use? (Very short use.) You have no way of having WC cover this regardless of your drug use. Far too much time has passed and there are any number of ways you could have contacted hepatitis during the intervening years.

Should my employer have took his own accident report.( as he did not and never does when an employee reports a fall, back strain, or other work related injury) That's irrelevant. Your injury was reported and you received medical treatment at the time for which your employer or their WC carrier paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">