• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

entitlement to Short term and long term and workman's comp?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pgrooms28

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have been on disability for more than 10 months and receiving w/c weekly checks. Before this work related injury, I was paying weekly for short term and long term benefits through my job. Am I entitled to those benefits in addition to the workman's comp benefits?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It will depend upon the terms of the disability policies, but almost certainly not. It is VERY rare that a disability plan will allow for benefits in the case of work related injuries. In the extremely large majority of cases, you can collect either workers comp, or disability benefits, but not both.

Even if you are one of the very rare cases where both are possible, it's entirely likely that the benefits of one of them will be offset by the other. The chances that you will be able to collect the full benefits of both policies are next to nil.

dancinlady55

I guess I will say I am one of those rare cases. I have been able to collect both, LTD and WC but not without an offset. You definately need to find out what your policy reads. In my case it read that as long as I was not able to work they (LTD) are responsibile to pay me until age 65. This means that when my time is up on collecting WC, my LTD will have to kick back in paying the full amount without the offset with WC. It is not impossible to collect both but expect the offset. If you don't understand the language of your policy, get some assistance.
I hope I have explained this better so I don't get SLAMMED on here again for posting incorrect info. My info was correct but just not in depth as much as a particular person may have wanted. Much luck to you with this matter.
dancinlady55

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">