• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eye injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JangLee

Oklahoma
I recently got hit in the eye with a piece of plastic at the hands of another employer. They filled out an accident report sheet because my eye was bleeding. i went to the clinic and they did some checks two days to make sure it was healing okay.
My first concern is whether the accident report sheet is the same as workers comp. I wanted two things from the company but they refused. i wanted to have periodic checks once every six months for two years for secondary-glaucoma, which can result from the hit to the eye. Also, the injury casued my eyelid to droop and i want that fixed. These two things seem extremely resonable. Am i entitled to these? Should I get a lawyer?

Beth3

I imagine that the form you filled out was the employer's internal injury report. They, in turn, filed a First Report of Injury with their worker's compensation carrier. So yes, the accident report sheet is the same thing as worker's compensation.

You do not get to dictate the terms of your future care when you are injured. Requesting a glaucoma check every six months is not reasonable unless a qualified physician specifies that this is medically necessary. If a doctor has said your eyelid droop is as a result of the injury, then worker's compensation is obligated to pay for the medical bills to repair the damage. Again, however, you do not get to diagnose the medical problem and the course of treatment - a doctor does. The WC carrier has the right to send you to a physician of their own choosing for an independent medical evalulation before deciding whether they are "on the hook" for any medical expenses.

If you don't agree with the decisions the WC carrier has made, then you are free to file for a hearing with the State. If you want to go that route, you will find the assistance of a WC attorney very helpful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">