• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fair settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PhotonSurpher

My back was injured on the job aprox 2 years ago. I have a 10%
residual disability rating. I was offered $21,640 as a settlement
(includind med's). I counter proposed a $30,000 settlement. They
responded with an offer of $27,000 cash or a structured plan
involving $10,000 cash and monthly payments of $420 thru 2005,
a total amounting to $30,160. Do you think this is resonable??
This claim was filed in TN. Is this settlement taxable?

C

CO-INJURED

Claim Amount?????

As I understand it.....

The starting point for which most claims are figured from is this formulia....
("Disibility %" X 3) X (average 12 weeks income prior to accident) = settlement...

Example: Lets say your average weekly income for the period of 12 weeks prior to injury was $650.00. And lets say your disibility % rating was 12%.

Than 12 X 3 = 36.... 36 X 650 = $23,400.00.

This is in TEXAS... Your starting point for consideration would be $23,400.00..

There is more to it that just this but as I understand it this is where the insurance companies under WC start from as a rule.

Good Luck,
Mark

B

Backless

Resign?

I was wondering if you had to resign from your job as well ?The formula may be factual but what is your future look like. Surgeries, meds, are you employable ,if so in the same type work? Sounds like small numbers if you answer yes to my questions. But I 'm just learning of this process. I ask because I will be in the same position as you with settlement , and any info .is appreciated. Thanks

P

PhotonSurpher

Fair Settlement

Thanks for the info. I was begining to wonder if anyone was out there. I think I'll consult with an attorney. I'll keep you posted.

B

Backless

Other Forums

Photon, check out MGH Neurology. For some reason I can't get the link to you. However if you search MGH NEUROLOGY you'll probably find it. It's a big forum with lots of different sites , W/C is just one.,along with spinal forums. Definately check it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">