• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fake pay stub submitted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tooruser

I am in Colorado and am applying to a well known company, they are performing a background check through a 3rd party company. I submitted a fake paystub to prove my last date of employment. Were it to be detected and acted upon I realize I would not get the job, but are there possible other consequences. The company is closed so I am unable to get the actual information. Basically I am asking if this a criminal matter or simply civil?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in Colorado and am applying to a well known company, they are performing a background check through a 3rd party company. I submitted a fake paystub to prove my last date of employment. Were it to be detected and acted upon I realize I would not get the job, but are there possible other consequences. The company is closed so I am unable to get the actual information. Basically I am asking if this a criminal matter or simply civil?
It could very well be investigated as a criminal matter, but it's not very likely.

quincy

It's a crime to create fake documents with the intent to deceive, so not getting the job could be the least of your worries.

Model Penal Code §224.1 (ignore the "New York," as Model Penal Code is for all states):
http://www.law-lib.utoronto.ca/bclc/crimweb/web1/mpc/PART1/snippets/224_1.htm

I agree with Zigner that a criminal action may be unlikely.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

Why did you post this under workplace injuries/workers comp? How is this situation related to these topic?:confused:

quincy

I have a feeling many posters either do not read the forum headings or do not understand what the forum headings mean.

Perhaps the forum headings could be simplified? This section could be renamed "Hurt at Work and I Want Money." Defamation could be relabeled "Bad Lies and Liars." :)

I'mTheFather

I have a feeling many posters either do not read the forum headings or do not understand what the forum headings mean.

Perhaps the forum headings could be simplified? This section could be renamed "Hurt at Work and I Want Money." Defamation could be relabeled "Bad Lies and Liars." :)
I might print this reply because it gave me such a laugh, and there are so many times I can use a good laugh!

PaulMass

It's a crime to create fake documents with the intent to deceive, so not getting the job could be the least of your worries.

Model Penal Code §224.1 (ignore the "New York," as Model Penal Code is for all states):
http://www.law-lib.utoronto.ca/bclc/crimweb.web1/mpc/PART1/snippets/224_1.htm
Your link is broken. There should be a "/" between crimweb and web1, not a "."

Model Penal Code is the same for all states that have adopted the Model Penal Code without modification. I don't know if Colorado has. According to Wikipedia (that's as much research as I'm willing to do on a Friday) no state has adoped the entire MPC

There's a big difference between "intent to deceive" and "intent to defraud".

If this is a government job, or possibly a government contractor, there could be a perjury issue.

quincy

Your link is broken. There should be a "/" between crimweb and web1, not a "."

Model Penal Code is the same for all states that have adopted the Model Penal Code without modification. I don't know if Colorado has. According to Wikipedia (that's as much research as I'm willing to do on a Friday) no state has adoped the entire MPC

There's a big difference between "intent to deceive" and "intent to defraud".

If this is a government job, or possibly a government contractor, there could be a perjury issue.
Thank you for pointing out the link error, Paul. It is now corrected and should work. :)

The comparable law in Colorado is found in Colorado's Revised Statutes, Section 18-5-101 et seq. Here is a link to Colorado's Title 18, Criminal Code (scroll to page 287): http://tornado.state.co.us/gov_dir/leg_dir/olls/2013TitlePrintouts/CRS Title 18 (2013).pdf

Very basic legal definitions:

intent: the state of mind accompanying an act; while motive is the inducement to do some act, intent is the mental resolution or determination to do it.

deceit: intentionally giving a false impression; false representation made knowingly or recklessly with the intent that another person should detrimentally rely on it; see fraud.

fraud: knowing misrepresentation of the truth, or concealment of material fact to induce another to act to his or her detriment.

forgery: the act of fraudulently making a false document or altering a real one to be used as if genuine; a false or altered document made to look genuine by someone with the intent to deceive.

perjury: the act or an instance of a person's deliberately making material or misleading statements while under oath

(glad you enjoyed the post, I'mTheFather) ;)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">