• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign Remote Worker Not Getting Paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

umair_ahmed

I am a software engineer by profession. I was hired by a start-up based in Orlando, FL. My contract as per the document signed was also under Florida state law. I was hired as a contract remote worker with no employee benefits. The employer has failed to produce the last 5 payments (<$10000) and insisted upon that it will be paid once we complete the software and launch it. But they fired all the foreign workers (2) on the day we completed it and gave the go ahead for final testing prior launch. They did not respond to any correspondence afterwards. How can I recover my dues while I am still in Pakistan?

Last edited:

I am a software engineer by profession. I was hired by a start-up based in Orlando, FL. My contract as per the document signed was also under Florida state law. I was hired as a contract remote worker with no employee benefits. The employer has failed to produce the last 5 payments (<$10000) and insisted upon that it will be paid once we complete the software and launch it. But they fired all the foreign workers (2) on the day we completed it and gave the go ahead for final testing prior launch. They did not respond to any correspondence afterwards. How can I recover my dues while I am still in Pakistan?
Simply put: If you turned over the un compiled code with the working program, Then what incentive would they have in paying you?
Do they own any interests (property...) in your country?

Sorry

quincy

First, your question has nothing to do with workplace injuries or workers compensation. Your thread would have been better placed in the Business Contract section of the forum (NOT that you should move it there now; you shouldn't).

That said, you will need to have your contract with the start-up company personally reviewed in its entirety by an attorney in either Florida or in your area of Pakistan who understands international contracts. We cannot do personal reviews on this forum.

The "incentive" the company has to pay you what it owes will be in a breach of contract suit if you are not paid as agreed under the terms of the contract and you decide to sue (in the US, under US laws).

Unfortunately, there are complications that come from the fact that you are located in Pakistan and the company is not.

umair_ahmed

Sorry for the misplaced thread. I don't know law categories etc. Company has no assets in my country, though one of the investors (deals in military defense systems) has clients here. We were working on company's servers so they always had the code.

Can you elaborate how I can do this in the US, if I do follow the breach of contract route. They were also, according to my contract, supposed to give me a 10 day notice which they didn't. Even if that creates a precedent and I don't get compensated, its fine.

Last edited:

quincy

Sorry for the misplaced thread. I don't know law categories etc. Company has no assets in my country, though one of the investors has clients here.

Can you elaborate how I can do this in the US, if I do follow the breach of contract route. They were also, according to my contract, supposed to give me a 10 day notice which they didn't. Even if that creates a precedent and I don't get compensated, its fine.
You can hire an attorney in Florida to assist you in filing a breach of contract suit. Here is a link to the Florida Bar Association: http://www.floridabar.org/

Good luck.

quincy

Sorry can't access that link. Seems its only accessible from within the US.
Ah. Sorry. Well, then you could do your own search for the Florida Bar Association and/or you can find an attorney in Pakistan experienced in international law to assist you. Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">