• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ghost Employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi, i just want to know how to verify a company it they really declare their employee as their employee? I think my friend is a ghost employee from his work.

Adam G

Hi, i just want to know how to verify a company it they really declare their employee as their employee? I think my friend is a ghost employee from his work.
By ghost employee do you mean somebody on the payroll who doesn't show up to work? Or somebody misclassified as a 1099 instead of W2?

canhelp

the way auditors do it is to get pictures and/or testimony from co-workers and match it to the suspect roster.
it depends to whom the employer is reporting it's employee information; they may include them in one set of records but not another.
there are many different reporting requirements.

My suspicious starts when I call the their company and they said that my friend is not their employee. I ask my friend if he still work for that company and he say yes and he is a regular employee so he start complaining about his benefits he said that his benefits from the company is not right so I suspect that he is a ghost employee but I want to be sure first.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Or it might just be that they don't hand out information about who is employed by them to every anonymous voice on the phone. What business is it of yours, anyway? They have no legal obligation to confirm employment to anyone, particularly to someone who has no valid reason to be asking. My employer won't confirm employment to anyone unless they have an authorization signed by the employee. Maybe your friend's employer has the same policy.

If HE has a problem with his benefits, then it's up to HIM to sort it out.

My friend is expecting that call from me that day. It something important matter that he ask me. Yes I will ask him again about about his benefits problem in that company next time. Thank you for the response

ecmst12

They are still not going to tell you anything and you have no legal entitlement to the information. The employee can speak to his HR department if he is having issues with his benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It doesn't matter whether your friend is expecting the call. He does not have an inherent right to take calls at work and the employer has no legal obligation to tell you whether he works there or not. If he has a problem with his benefits, then HE can deal with it. YOU do not have any legal right to have the employer give you one single solitary piece of information - INCLUDING whether or not your friend works there.

Hot Topic

Companies are often hesitant to give out information to "friends." How do they know that a person claiming to be a "friend" is not targeting that person or their fellow employees for an act of violence. Or don't you read the newspapers or watch the news?

I once worked at a company when a person called asking how many African Americans worked there. I transferred the person to the executive secretary, who refused to give out the information. The person then called me to complain about how "rude" and unhelpful the secretary was. Did the caller have a valid reason for her question? In view of her response, probably not. Could she have represented a danger? Possibly.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My friend is expecting that call from me that day. It something important matter that he ask me. Yes I will ask him again about about his benefits problem in that company next time. Thank you for the response
This truly is not rocket science. Tell him to call you on his lunch break, either from a cell phone or pay phone (yes, you CAN still find them), or tie up with him after work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">