• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to try and keep this short

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimfrye661

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Long story short -
My husband was involved in a car accident while he was working back in August. His brother was driving the truck on the highway, they were towing a trailer behind it with an asphalt buggy on it and the truck was shaking pretty violently. They had asked for the truck to be repaired a couple times before this, but the company always put it off, or would do a cheap fix and it would break again. The tire blew out on the truck causing it to slam into the guard rail. This is where it gets confusing. My husband's nose was broken, ribs fractured, and he was sent to the trauma care by ambulance. I drove to the hospital and found my husband's boss with my husband's brother. My husband's brother had failed his drug test, which my husband didn't know, he had no idea that his brother even smoked marijuana. He ended up getting fired.

So my husband spends a day in the hospital and gets to come home. His work calls the next day and says they're going to pay for him to have the whole week off, then he can come back to work next week. My husband was in a lot of pain obviously but he said as long as he was feeling alright he would. He ended up going to the workers comp doctor and they said that he needs to be on light duty, lifting no more than 5 pounds. Daniel took the orders to his work and they said that he could stand and watch his guys work (my husband is a foreman). So he starts back to work, supposed to be on light duty, but they are making him do his regular job again. They told him if he couldn't do his normal job that he'll just have to stay home, but he won't be paid for it, so my husband worked because we need the money.

Hes been going to his appointments and to this day he is STILL supposed to be on light duty, that never happened. Well yesterday we check the mail at his dad's house and he has 24,000 dollars worth of medical bills from his accident. Workers compensation is supposed to cover this, but apparently his work told them to bill my husband's insurance and not workers comp.

My husband wants to take them to court, but I wanted to get advice before. Does he stand a chance going to court? Were trying to find a workers comp lawyer, but the thing is, we can't afford any up front charges. Were pretty broke right now, but we need to do something because we just can't afford, and shouldn't be responsible to pay 24,000 of medical bills.

W

Willlyjo

Dear Kimfry

If your husband was hurt while on the job and he sustained 24,000.00 in doctor bills in California, he is not suppose to see them bills, his Workers Comp. Insurer is!

You don't need upfront fees whatsoever to get a workers comp. lawyer in California! If you can't find a lawyer to represent you then you can call the State Bar of California at (415)538-2120 or go to their website at Legal Specialization.

You should be able to find an attorney to help you. You can obtain free information from an information and assistance officer of the State Division of Workers Compensation, or you can hear recorded information and a list of local offices by calling (800) 736-7401.

Hope that more specifically addresses your concerns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">