• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harsh Chemicals at work causing reactions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lintywaver

I work in a small office with no ventilation other than the door. The windows do not open as we are on the 5th floor. We have cleaners that come in to clean the office and kitchen daily. Because we are a 24/7 center, there is always staff on duty when the cleaners are here. They use the most potent and toxic smelling chemical cleaners to spray surfaces, and the smell lingers in the air for quite some time. These harsh chemical cleaners cause severe allergic reactions. My sinuses instantly swell up causing headaches and eventually migraines and my eyes are so dry and painful that I can hardly stand to look at my computer screen, especially for 12 hours.

On November 17th, I couldn't bear it any longer so I wrote management an email explaining my situation. I also offered alternative cleaning suggestions and offered to bring them in on my own expense. The manager wrote me back and stated he is disassociating himself from the situation because his mother owns the cleaning company! He stated he would forward the complaint to the director.

It is now January and I have not heard anything so I took it upon myself to bring in vinegar and replace the chemicals with a diluted solution. This did not go over well with the cleaning staff, but I am to the point that I can't manage any longer in an already stressful job. There are two other employees that are also bothered by the chemicals, one having severe asthma and the other having allergies as well.

I would like to know if I crossed the line by replacing the chemicals, and if there is anything I can do since management keeps ignoring the issue. Is it worth taking legal action if even possible?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're not to the point of taking legal action yet. You may eventually get there but you've got several steps to go first. There's a very specific law that may protect you but we need to go through it first. Hang in there and answer a couple of questions for me.

Let's start here: How many employees, total, does this employer have, and is there an HR? I'm going somewhere very specific with this. Doesn't matter if the HR person/persons are on your shift or even at your location - just if there is one. Also, will your doctor certify what is happening to you with the cleaning supplies?

commentator

Also did I miss this, or what state are you in? Answer the questions cbg is asking, because there are some specific things that may apply. If the chemicals are really this toxic, poor workers for the cleaning company!

Last edited:

quincy

... It is now January and I have not heard anything so I took it upon myself to bring in vinegar and replace the chemicals with a diluted solution. This did not go over well with the cleaning staff ...

I would like to know if I crossed the line by replacing the chemicals, and if there is anything I can do since management keeps ignoring the issue. Is it worth taking legal action if even possible?
You could have committed a crime by intentionally replacing the contents of a labeled bottle with another substance. Bottles that contain chemicals are labeled for a reason.

A substance like vinegar, while non-toxic on its own, can react with bleach to create chlorine gas. The cleaning crew, if unaware of your substitutions or additions, could have become sickened by your new mixtures.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Oh, there's no question you crossed the line, and as someone on the other forum where you posted this pointed out, you could have been fired for that.

But if you will answer my questions, there IS a *possible* legal solution for you. It is NOT a guarantee.

quincy

Some of us do not read or contribute to other forums (or at least any more ;)) so if someone comes to this forum for advice, the fact that advice was given elsewhere really should have no bearing on what is provided here.

What is provided on another forum can always be repeated here so that those who choose to come only to this site can be equally informed. And, there ARE different members on this site. A poster may WANT the input of others he has not already heard from, especially since the contributors on one site may not always have all the answers, the complete answers or, even, the correct answers.

With that said (and off my chest :p ), lintywaver's state name is important to see what sort of criminal penalties may exist for him for his OWN actions, regardless of what recourse he may have against his employer for the prolonged exposure to the chemicals in the cleaning supplies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Wasn't referring to you, Q - just trying to put things into place for the poster. Who has not returned to either forum to answer the questions I've put to her in both places, I might add.

quincy

Wasn't referring to you, Q - just trying to put things into place for the poster. Who has not returned to either forum to answer the questions I've put to her in both places, I might add.
I didn't think you were referring to me, cbg. And my comment on forum postings was intended as a general comment and not directed at anyone in particular.

That said, if lintywaver is in the Cayman Islands as I'mTheFather suspects, any information or advice based on US laws that is offered here OR on any other forum stands to do lintywaver very little good.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">