• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance Cancellation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ERICA JARDINE

What is the name of your state? NEVADA

I was seriously hurt on the job and can no longer work. I have been receiving workmans compensation insurance for the past three months. My employer is now cancelling my health insurance that covers my family and myself due to my inability to work, can he do this? The accident that caused my injuries was caused by his negligence....Please help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unfortunately, the answer is, yes, he can.

The maximum time that an employer is required to hold an employee's job for medical reasons with benefits protected is 12 weeks. This remains true whether the injury is work related or not. At the end of 12 weeks, the employee may legally be terminated and/or they may be placed on inactive status. In either case, the employer is no longer obligated under the law to continue their health insurance benefits.

COBRA/state continuation will apply. This means that you MUST be given the opportunity to continue this benefits at your own expense. The employer has 44 days from the last day of coverage to provide you with the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">