• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heart attack and compensation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GuffTech

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I live in Pennsylvania but I work for a small husband wife company in Michigan. I have been doing epoxy floor coating installations across the country for them for about 19 years. On 10-18-04 while working at their warehouse I experienced chest pains and was hospitalized with a heart attack and I had a stent implanted.

I called my company to find out if I could recieve workers comp or unemployment for the time that I will be unable to work, and they told me no because it was a health issue.

I did smoke cigarettes off and on, but I also worked in unventilated areas with urethanes, epoxies, solvents, muriactic acid, exhaust from gas powered machines and stayed in hotel rooms with other smokers for days or weeks at a time.

Am I entitled to any compensation? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Answer

I am not an attorney (I am a Human Resources professional), but I think you are going to find yourself out of luck on this one. It would be VERY difficult, if not impossible, to prove that your heart attack was work-related. So many factors can cause a heart attack - diet, exercise, smoking, heredity, etc.

As for the UI, I am not familiar with PA, but in my state (IL), in order to be eligible to receive unemployment you must be "able" to work - a person on medical "leave" would not be eligible - you cannot be working if you are sick, right? If you could work, you'd be back at the old company!

I assume the ER does not have short-term or long-term disability insurance or you'd have mentioned it. If they DO have STD or LTD, by all means, I'd apply for that. STD and/or LTD probably would cover absence due to heart attack. However, since you didn't mention having it, it's probably a moot point.

Unfortunately, I think you're out of luck. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">