• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Homeowner hiring a licensed contractor that does not have workers' comp.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JWBlue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

A contractor that is the owner of a company is not required to have workers' comp. Only his employees are required to have workers' comp.

Am I liable for any of the owners' injuries or is he required to have some other insurance?

Is a waiver signed by a licensed contractor that releases my liability for injuries in my home enforceable in court?

If I hire a licensed contractor and the owner without workers comp works on the project could I have him sign a waiver that releases my liability for any injuries that I might be at fault for due to poor upkeep of my home?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

A contractor that is the owner of a company is not required to have workers' comp. Only his employees are required to have workers' comp.

Am I liable for any of the owners' injuries or is he required to have some other insurance?

Is a waiver signed by a licensed contractor that releases my liability for injuries in my home enforceable in court?

If I hire a licensed contractor and the owner without workers comp works on the project could I have him sign a waiver that releases my liability for any injuries that I might be at fault for due to poor upkeep of my home?
His insurance status has no bearing on your liability for injuries.

He would be a fool to sign a waiver such as you propose.

quincy

You would be smart to only hire contractors who are both licensed and insured.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">