• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hostile work environment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bradp1991

Hello my name is Brad I work as maintenance at an apartment complex. I have to live on property due to being on call and I am having a lot of problems with my neighbors. They have been complaining about noise to the office and even called the police but nothing has been done since we haven't broken any laws or the lease. We just have a 2 year old who runs around and the building is almost 60 years old. They continue to knock on our door and be rude to me and my wife and the leasing office has done nothing. Would this qualify as a hostile work environment? If I were to move to another apartment I would have to pay transfer fees out of pocket from my cable and electric company.

eerelations

As defined by law, an illegal hostile work environment is a work environment where someone is experiencing persistent and ongoing harassment and/or discrimination that is based directly on things like the person's race, gender, religion, age and/or disability. Nothing in your post indicates that your experiences are based on any of these things, ergo, what you are experiencing is not illegal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello my name is Brad I work as maintenance at an apartment complex. I have to live on property due to being on call and I am having a lot of problems with my neighbors. They have been complaining about noise to the office and even called the police but nothing has been done since we haven't broken any laws or the lease. We just have a 2 year old who runs around and the building is almost 60 years old. They continue to knock on our door and be rude to me and my wife and the leasing office has done nothing. Would this qualify as a hostile work environment? If I were to move to another apartment I would have to pay transfer fees out of pocket from my cable and electric company.
Perhaps you should control your child...

(And, yes, I've gone through three of them, as well as two grandkids)

commentator

And please keep in mind that it would be perfectly legal for your employer to fire you due to the persistent complaints. Either calm the child, or move, eat the costs, and get away from these neighbors who are complaining. It's your job that is at stake here. Your employer has no responsibility to make your workplace happy and problem free.

LdiJ

And please keep in mind that it would be perfectly legal for your employer to fire you due to the persistent complaints. Either calm the child, or move, eat the costs, and get away from these neighbors who are complaining. It's your job that is at stake here. Your employer has no responsibility to make your workplace happy and problem free.
I kind of disagree...and kind of agree as well. My disagreement is figuring that anyone could "calm" a two year old in an apartment situation with poor soundproofing. If you think they can, then either you have no experience with two year olds or it has been a VERY long time since you have had experience.

Just Blue

I kind of disagree...and kind of agree as well. My disagreement is figuring that anyone could "calm" a two year old in an apartment situation with poor soundproofing. If you think they can, then either you have no experience with two year olds or it has been a VERY long time since you have had experience.
I've had 2 two year olds in apartments ...I taught them "indoor" and "outdoor" behavior.

Silverplum

I've had 2 two year olds in apartments ...I taught them "indoor" and "outdoor" behavior.
I *was* the small child learning to control myself. My parents bought their first rental, a duplex, and lived in one side and rented out the other. I had just turned 3, and my parents tolerated no nonsense from the little peanut gallery. I was not allowed to holler, yell, screech, scream, pound on the walls, or do anything that made life unhappy for the renter.

I turned out fine. Did well in school. Was not traumatized. It was the Family Business, and it didn't stop at the duplex. :) *proud of parents*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">