• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how does it all work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boxonhead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? nyc, ny

it was my second day on the job. a coworker was inching a box of a high shelf. box (weighing 75 lbs) fell on my head. EMS was called. i decided i was ok and didnt want to go to the ER but i did go home. Next day, my speech was slurred and neck was painful. Went to ER where it was determined I have a concussion and muscle spasms in my neck. was prescribed pain med and referred to nuerology. have been out of work for 2.5 days.

the company in charge of workers comp called me at home to ask if i had been to the doctor and to verify my personal info.

I'm not sure how it all works though...any help would be great.

way2fast4u

Work Comp

Hi
I have been though all the WC stuff (games).If you need to see A surgeon then you should get there ASAP they will do A MRI most likely to see whats going on.They will also want to know if you have had any injures to that part of your body just tell the truth.

latigo

Hi I have been though all the WC stuff (games).If you need to see A surgeon then you should get there ASAP they will do A MRI most likely to see whats going on.They will also want to know if you have had any injures to that part of your body just tell the truth.
The OP isn't asking for medical advice! Nor is this the place to seek it.

For information of how New York’s workers' compensation act "works" - or how the "game" is played as you crassly word it - he or she might start here:

New York Department Of Labor,
Workers' Compensation Board
333 E Washington Street Floor 3 Syracuse,
NY 13202-1422
Phone: (315) 428-4454

And unless the OP wants to pay for the medical service out of his or her own pocket he or she ought not "initially" engage a physician except from a list maintained by that overseeing state agency.

boxonhead

I am most def not trying to play any "games" ... I'm just unaware of how this all works...and it is all a bit rushed for my liking.

I was sent a huge packet from the ins. comp with tons of forms for me to fill out and sign.

The forms are medical release forms, accident detail information and lots of lists of what I can and may be entitled to - Lost time benefit details and such.

Is this all so they will pay for the medical bill I incurred at the ER. If so, it seems like a lot.

Do I have to fill this all out? What happens if I want to do nothing except return to work?

Jaxywho

Work comp does require a lot of paperwork! You must release medical records to the insurance or they will not pay the bills. There are other issues here besides paying bills.

1. If you miss work you may be entitled to compensation for time missed. The amount and requirements are different by state.

2. You may be entitled to a settlement when you have fully recovered.

Every state has different requirements. Some states require you to pick a doctor from a panel while some allow you to use your own doc. Also, most employers will not let you return to work if the doc has said you cannot. YOu need to talk to someone at the DOL division of WC to find out the specifics for your state.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">