• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I had a reciept and was accused of stealing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jesskemp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I purchased 2 pair of rock revival jeans 175 dollars each. I put them on my credit card. I was going to by 3 pair. But thought 500 dollars was completely ridicules. So I had the worker take one pair back. He was new and scanned the pair of jeans I didn't buy instead of the pair he put in my bag. He also forgot to take off the security tag. I spent so much money they gave me 2 free hats for a promotion as well as a free wallet..I home and put the bag in my closet to give to my husband for Christmas. Well he found them and tried them on hated one pair and wanted me to return them. It was the pair the worker forgot to take the tag off. I took in my receipt and the jeans and the manager helped me he took my receipt and told me that the pair of jeans I had and my recipt did not match. She would talk to the worker that checked me out and if he could verify that I didn't take them and those are the jeans I purchase she would return my money. she then told me that I would have to bring bag the at and wallet for her to complet the return. I drove home got the hat got the wallet and drove back. she told me she would talk to the worker that helped me and if he could verify and remember the transaction then she would return my money. She then said this is weird I then asked what she was insinuating and she said things don't add up. How did you get these out of the store. I told her I have never stole in my life. I had my 2 sons with me. Which are 4 and 1. SO I then left the store and told her I would be waiting to hear back from her. Well I just got a phone call from the manager telling me I stole the jeans on tape they have me PURCHASING 2 pair of jeans but the worker did not remember the transaction. SHe then told me that she called her district manager and they have to keep the jeans. and not return my money because she did an inventory count and they are off on the one pair a jeans I had. She told me I stole them in front of 10 + customers. And she told her employees I stole them. Which I didn't I had my children with me when I went in and picked up the jeans. I need to know what legal options I have. I am a full time student and mother. I work full time And I would never steal. Do I have a case??????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have to ask.

Why did you think that a forum on workplace injuries was an appropriate place to post your question?

alsherooq

Are they filing a lawsuit against you?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
I purchased 2 pair of rock revival jeans 175 dollars each. I put them on my credit card. I was going to by 3 pair. But thought 500 dollars was completely ridicules. So I had the worker take one pair back. He was new and scanned the pair of jeans I didn't buy instead of the pair he put in my bag. He also forgot to take off the security tag. I spent so much money they gave me 2 free hats for a promotion as well as a free wallet..I home and put the bag in my closet to give to my husband for Christmas. Well he found them and tried them on hated one pair and wanted me to return them. It was the pair the worker forgot to take the tag off. I took in my receipt and the jeans and the manager helped me he took my receipt and told me that the pair of jeans I had and my recipt did not match. She would talk to the worker that checked me out and if he could verify that I didn't take them and those are the jeans I purchase she would return my money. she then told me that I would have to bring bag the at and wallet for her to complet the return. I drove home got the hat got the wallet and drove back. she told me she would talk to the worker that helped me and if he could verify and remember the transaction then she would return my money. She then said this is weird I then asked what she was insinuating and she said things don't add up. How did you get these out of the store. I told her I have never stole in my life. I had my 2 sons with me. Which are 4 and 1. SO I then left the store and told her I would be waiting to hear back from her. Well I just got a phone call from the manager telling me I stole the jeans on tape they have me PURCHASING 2 pair of jeans but the worker did not remember the transaction. SHe then told me that she called her district manager and they have to keep the jeans. and not return my money because she did an inventory count and they are off on the one pair a jeans I had. She told me I stole them in front of 10 + customers. And she told her employees I stole them. Which I didn't I had my children with me when I went in and picked up the jeans. I need to know what legal options I have. I am a full time student and mother. I work full time And I would never steal. Do I have a case??????
I think best is to check if they are planning to file a lawsuit against you or filed a police report. You need to check any police report made by them so you can protect your identify later especially if you ever plan on working for another company. You wouldn't want any police records tagged with your name, it won't be good credential.

If you are planning to file a case, you will need a good defense lawyer. Consult a defense lawyer in your area. CCTV camera nowadays are huge factor in solving a case. Ask a lawyer expenses or if ever you will win the case what could possibly you'll get in return? You have to analyze the situation, 350 USD is really worth your time and resources processing a case against the store?

Anyhow, good luck in whatever decision you will make.

commentator

You need a defense lawyer if you are planning to "file a case"? A case for what?

If these people do not press charges against you, I'd say you were in pretty good shape here. They got their merchandise back, so maybe they won't go any further. Keep the two pairs of jeans you have. Don't shop there in the future. You can overcome the indignity and shame you have ostensibly suffered at their hands. After all, your children were not with you to hear you accused of theft. Those other ten people you didn't know, did you? You must admit, the scenario looked pretty weird. That sounds to me like what the manager was remarking about. I didn't hear her accuse you of theft, merely question the circumstances.

That salesclerk was a real peach, lets see, he rung up the sale wrong, and he failed to take the tag off the merchandise, and now he doesn't remember the transaction. And you haven't seen the video tapes, have you? Lie low.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Seriously, you thought nothing of spending $350 on 2 pairs of jeans but the third pair was totally illogical??? I would try the defense you only change your clothes twice a week.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">