• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was robbed at work. Is the store responsible for anything that was taken?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffsimpson

Florida

I'm a delivery driver and I got robbed at gunpoint during a delivery a few days ago. They took my wallet and cell phone then jumped in my car and drove off. I immediately found someone with a phone and called the cops. Spent the rest of the night at the station and theres an investigation going on now. Before going home, i had to go back to the restaurant and type up what happened. The store said I still owed the 39 dollars that was in my wallet from deliveries. They have a policy where we have to drop anything above $20 in the bank when we get cash deliveries. They don't actually ask us or expect us to do that, but i guess they're covered and theres nothing i can do about that. I don't really trust them so i don't want to ask without researching first, but does their insurance have to cover anything? My car was found unharmed, but my $400 cell phone, $50 dollar wallet and $50 were taken? What can i do about this? The company is jimmy johns.

Florida

I'm a delivery driver and I got robbed at gunpoint during a delivery a few days ago. They took my wallet and cell phone then jumped in my car and drove off. I immediately found someone with a phone and called the cops. Spent the rest of the night at the station and theres an investigation going on now. Before going home, i had to go back to the restaurant and type up what happened. The store said I still owed the 39 dollars that was in my wallet from deliveries. They have a policy where we have to drop anything above $20 in the bank when we get cash deliveries. They don't actually ask us or expect us to do that, but i guess they're covered and theres nothing i can do about that. I don't really trust them so i don't want to ask without researching first, but does their insurance have to cover anything? My car was found unharmed, but my $400 cell phone, $50 dollar wallet and $50 were taken? What can i do about this? The company is jimmy johns.
With the wealth of information you have provided, right off the top of my head I'd say no your employer is not responsible, however their insurance might cover the cell phone if you were required to use it for your work. you'll have to ask.
I'm sorry for your loss.
..______________________________
~ Free advice is just that.
It didn't cost you a dime so do with it what you will.

quincy

Florida

I agree with drruthless. It does not appear from what you have written that you can hold your employer liable for your losses - but you can approach your employer and ask if he can cover any or all of your losses.

If you were robbed on the Jimmy Johns premises (the parking lot or in the restaurant), or if you were robbed by another employee and the employer knew or should have known the employee had a criminal history that made him a risk to others, then you could/would have a legitimate claim.

I'm curious - was the area where you were delivering known to be a dangerous area, an area where other delivery drivers had been victims of crimes in the past?

Based strictly on what you have written here, it appears that the only one you can look to for relief and recovery of your losses is the carjacker/robber who stole your car, your money and your cell phone - and that will only be if the police are able to locate him and charge him with the crimes and he is later convicted on the charges. Restitution then would (no doubt) be ordered.

I guess the positives are that, one, you were not harmed and that, two, your car was found undamaged. Both are often not the case in armed-carjackings.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Contact your auto insurance and your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance company. They may be able to assist too...

quincy

Contact your auto insurance and your homeowner's (or renter's) insurance company. They may be able to assist too...
I thought of insurance, too, but figured jeffsimpson's deductible would probably be pretty close to his reported $500 loss. It could still be worth a contact, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">