• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want my life back.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tinaduncan74

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?AR
About a year ago I was exposed to a floor wax striper and floor wax, both an anmonia based product. At the time I noticed the strong smell and asked the janitor if he had an MSDS he said he didn't. I was concerned because I work at a child day care and there were approx. 13 childen present at the time. Any way the next couple of days it became harder and harder for me to breathe. This went on for about a week. Then about two months later he did it again, different classroom. This time it was so bad I did go to the doctor, I do not have insurance so this put me in a tight position, the reason I didn't go the first time. I told him what had happened and he told me that I had asthma, possibly chemically induced. He wanted to admit me but due to insurance problem he put me on prednisone and told me that I needed to inform my employer(we were off on summer vacation). When I did they sent me to their w/c doctor. He ran several test and said that I only had 70% lung usage, due to scaring,he was very concerned and he put me on more meds and contacted my employer for MSDS , but they still did not have them. At that point he told me to go back to work and come back in three days . I did but only after work because I was told it would put them in to much of a hardship for me not to work. Anyways after a couple of visits , which was an hour and a half one way, He told me that I would have asthma for the rest of my life and that I should think of finding a different line of employment. He informed me that small children carry lots of germs, may of which would put me in the hospital. To make a long story a little shorter, a few weeks later I got a letter from the W/C insurance stating that because it was asthma that it was not work related. Is there anything I can do to get a little of my previous way of life back? By the way our OSHA coordinator( safety Coordinator) resigned right after this happened. Can I hold my employer responsible for not having safety standards in operation? I did not recieve one penny nor do I get help with medications whch are breaking me.

Beth3

You should consult with a WC attorney right away. You have the right to file for a hearing with your State's Worker's Compensation Divison and contest the WC carrier's denial of your claim. You will find this process much easier if you have the assistance of an attorney. Don't delay as there is a limited period of time in which you can contest their decision.

Your employer's failure to have MSDS fact sheets readily available is a violation of OSHA standards and you are free to file a complaint with them. FYI, this is an entirely separate issue from your WC claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">